Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alpha 1 HP

Ronnie
    playdeep
    Do you have a web sight are a phone # for the Konrad drive you were talking about. I am going to need one early this year( i have a feeling).
    Thanks Ronnie

DaveA
    Konrad Marine website
    Hope this helps. I was glad to hear about it too.
    DaveA

Infomaniac
    Kind of late but My Alpha SS interrupted both in and out. Out is the most important. Torque holds it in gear and the cable will stretch in no time if the interrupter is not working. It is worse with a tall gear and big prop. The torque at idle in gear is very strong and almost impossible to pull it out of gear if the ignition is not interrupted.
    [ January 15, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

playdeep
    The ph.# for Konrad is 1-800-927-3545
    [ January 15, 2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: playdeep ]

Scarab Fast
    Ronnie, I just put a 383 in a 22' Scarab that is making 450hp and 500ft/lbs and am running an alpha drive. I was very concerned with this to start with. My motor is internally balanced, vortech heads, making 10.5-1 compression. I did not go to wild on the cam so it would idle good around 650-700 rpm for shifting. It works like a dream. As for the alpha drive and how much hp they can handle, Mercruiser put these drives on boats with big blocks back around 85-87. They quit because the torque was tearing them apart. Since then, (around 91-92 I think) the Generation 2 alpha drives have came out which has heaver duty gears and is alot stronger. This is the alpha drive that Mercruiser uses now. I only have about 5 hours on my motor now and have no problems. The motor runs like a dream all the way up to top end. Always be easy coming out of the hole and get off the throttle if you catch air. 70 is a hard # to reach.

Ronnie
    Scarab Fast
    Thanks for the info on your boat. I am running about 260 HP with stock 350. New motor just came off dyno and is makeing 390hp and 420tq. With the increase in hp I am hopping for the 70 mark. The boat is running 52 now. Hope this will do what I am wanting. My boat only weighs about 2800lbs.
    Thanks for all the help
    Ronnie

Sand Dawg
    If I read this tread right year has a lot to do with Alpha one or the newer Alpha. My boat is a 96 with a Alpha one outdrive, does this mean it is the newer style{Gen 2} that is heavier geared? And couldn't you go by serial numbers as to what style it is?.....Thanks

TahitiSteve
    I e-mailed Konrad a while back about their omega drive, evidently they are not making it anymore
    If I remember correctly the Alpha to bravo kit from Bravo shop is $6000. Couldn't you go a lot cheaper finding a junker boat with a bravo? Anyone know how much transom work is necessary to do the swap? Any guesses (or experience) on labor cost to have it done?

Wetter the Better
    the bravo shop selln them for $7000 and it a direct transom replacement u need to drill 2 xtra hole for mounting purposes

jus a baker
    Iv'e been looking for something to do with my drive also, the brovo kit is a nice kit (and the best idea), but its damn near what my boats worth, so im stuck with deciding what to do to. More power is fun but scarry on the drive. Didn't someone make better shaft for the alpha a few years ago?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast