Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Need to flip the BTO over

Bow Tie Omega
    I have a dilemma guys and I need input from anyone who has ideas. I got the Bow Tie Omega back from Barney, gel looks really nice, but he could not do the bottom because the size/weight of the boat. The bottom is in desperate need of cleaning up and some white gel shot on her. The question is how to get a 21 ft 2500 lb hull upside down without hurting/cracking the new gel or boat in the process. I am ready to put this boat back together and send this boat to the upholstery shop, this is the one stumbling block in the way of that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....Thanks...Joe

Bow Tie Omega
    here is a pick of her on the trailer

AZKC
    Sure came out nice. I've seen some guys roll them over onto mattress's. Get a bunch of guys and just man handle it.
    KC

Ken F
    BowTieOmega,
    Here's a link to some pics on how to:
    <http://community.webshots.com/album/35860873JHJruE>
    Go to a tireshop, and "borrow" about 10 used tires. Tell them you just want them for a day, and you will return them. Begin to pull your boat off the trailer, and lay out the tires underneath. Once off, lay some more along the gunnels, and stand it on edge. Move the tires from the bottom side to the top side. I'd suggest a minimum of 10 people though!
    Ken F

screamdreambrad
    the way they do big boats is by doing the center or the outerpart of the bottom then change the supports to the other (inner or outter) then finish the paint. did that make sence. inner half then outer half. that way you don't have to turn it over. that my friend is a bitch. it took 7 guys to do mine and it only weighs 600. pick it up walk off the side of the dolly or trl. lay it on its side.(on the tires you borrowed) then everybody shifts to the top and rolls it over and picks it up at the same time walks it back over upside down onto the trl. not my favorite thing to do and i've done it to mine twice! brad

Bow Tie Omega
    I get what you guys are saying about rolling her over. My concerns with doing that are having parts of the boat flex just enough to spider (crack) the gel coat. I have spent ALOT of money on this boats fiberglass and gel coat and it would suck if it spidered where it flexed whil turning her.

MudPumper
    So, the moral of the story is....Fix the bottom then fix the top???????????

SPECTRABRENT
    Joes Tooling did my gel coat work, Joe has a giant hoist to flip the boat over. JOes # is 818 768 4636.
    Brent

Cas
    Brent,
    If you're talking about your white with blue 24'er, you're right, it looks great! I was down there a couple of days ago, he does some great work.

Chris J
    Sounds like you want to try something other than flipping it on the ground. If there's a large lakes near there should be a marina that has a large mobile gantry type crane with slings. They use these cranes to pull 40ft+ boats out of the water. They should have no problem lifting and rolling your boat while its in the sling.
    These cranes are common at large marinas in MN, but then our lakes/rivers freeze over so all boat must be removed for winter. This may not be as common in the southern half of the US. Another option is to check out a rigging and crane service like Murphy's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast