Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Need to flip the BTO over

flat broke
    Go with the hoist idea, if that gel cracks because you flipped the boat over (exculding dropping it on its side or something) you would have ended up seeing the cracks after a few outings on the water anyhow. The tire idea will work too, but I don't think you'll find many takers for that afternoon of fun. Flipping some guy's freshly gelled boat would be like signing up to move a chick's fine china and nic nacs. All you're going to hear is "be careful... can't you move any faster?... be carefull.."
    Out of curiosity, why didn't Barney just tilt the f'er 45 degrees, shoot and sand one side, then repeat for the other? I know that someone elses 20' cruiser that is built way more burly than yours was handled in such a fashion.
    Good luck cleaning up the bottom, and don't forget to blueprint her while you have it upside down.
    Chris

superdave013
    Originally posted by flat broke
    Out of curiosity, why didn't Barney just tilt the f'er 45 degrees, shoot and sand one side, then repeat for the other? I know that someone elses 20' cruiser that is built way more burly than yours was handled in such a fashion.
    Chris
    Yeah, I know that guy with the 20' curiser too.
    This is how his cruiser got the bottom done after Barney did the top.
    Used a hoist and forklift to do it.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ng_it2-med.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ng_it4-med.jpg

Bow Tie Omega
    Hey you all, thanks for all of the ideas. I know a guy at work who has an A-Frame, 12 ft tall and he has agreed to let me use it for a few weeks. The last technique shown by SuperDave looks like the way I should proceed. Thanks again to everyone for your ideas and help with this project. Feel free to send pics/ideas on this topic. Thanks...Joe

SPECTRABRENT
    Cas,
    That is my Spectra 24 and yes Joe does great work. You should have seen the boat before Joe started redoing the gel coat & fiberglass work. I also had Joe redo the Pacalon.
    Thanks again,
    Brent

Bow Tie Omega
    Sorry guys, bringing this topic back up for Barney to review

HavasuBarney
    I hit the wrong button when trying to reply here and started a new thread....
    Oh well, double post now.
    Bto
    I think it crazy to attempt to roll the boat at this point, there's no need to do that. The risk/rewards are not in your favor.
    BTO is a heavy boat, at least 2500 lbs. If you put all her weight on a her side, could cause problems.
    If you want the bottom done, just take her off the trailer and set her on two stands in the rear corners, then support the bow under the eye.
    Just lower the front of the trailer as far down as you can, set your stands in the rear corners, raise the front of the trailer. That will get your ass floating. Now use the A frame to raise the front until the entire boat is floating, roll the trailer out.
    We use a barrel with a couple 2X6's under the bow eye, leave the a frame attached but not under pressure for safty, no need to put all that stress on the rub rail for extended periods of time.
    Get yourself a creeper and work from your back. Works the chest like bench pressing!
    Feel free to give me a call if you have questions.
    Flat Broke, the stress of laying a heavy boat on her side would be a far cry from normal running conditions.
    Out of curiosity, why didn't Barney just tilt the f'er 45 degrees, shoot and sand one side, then repeat for the other? I know that someone elses 20' cruiser that is built way more burly than yours was handled in such a fashion
    Not true, the BTO is a much bigger and heavier boat than superdave013's. It's more similar in size to a Spectra 20.

Bow Tie Omega
    Barney, are you at work yet

HavasuBarney
    Still sitting here in my underwear.
    Call me at home, I'll be here for a few more minutes. Otherwise you'll have to get me on the cell cause I'm working at a different shop today.
    Check your PM's

flat broke
    Originally posted by HavasuBarney
    I hit the wrong button when trying to reply here and started a new thread....
    Oh well, double post now.
    Bto
    I think it crazy to attempt to roll the boat at this point, there's no need to do that. The risk/rewards are not in your favor.
    BTO is a heavy boat, at least 2500 lbs. If you put all her weight on a her side, could cause problems.
    If you want the bottom done, just take her off the trailer and set her on two stands in the rear corners, then support the bow under the eye.
    Just lower the front of the trailer as far down as you can, set your stands in the rear corners, raise the front of the trailer. That will get your ass floating. Now use the A frame to raise the front until the entire boat is floating, roll the trailer out.
    We use a barrel with a couple 2X6's under the bow eye, leave the a frame attached but not under pressure for safty, no need to put all that stress on the rub rail for extended periods of time.
    Get yourself a creeper and work from your back. Works the chest like bench pressing!
    Feel free to give me a call if you have questions.
    Flat Broke, the stress of laying a heavy boat on her side would be a far cry from normal running conditions.
    Not true, the BTO is a much bigger and heavier boat than superdave013's. It's more similar in size to a Spectra 20.
    I guess the operative phrase is "normal running conditions". If normal running conditions are constituted by 6-10" windchop at the biggest, and glass the rest of the time, perhaps tilting the boat would be more stressfull than running it. But in my mind, a 20' boat used at havasu or parker is going to see 12-18" rollers/chop minimum and will be a rough ride if the driver decides he wants to keep the throttle pinned for a while. I can tell you from personal experience, running a V bottom of his size in foot plus chop is will be plenty rough on a boat over time. If the boat can't handle being gently flipped while suspended from the bow eye and the tie down loops at the transom, it is definitely going to show signs of wear quickly by being run on typical Havasu weekend water for any extended period of time.
    In regards to girth differences between a 20' Schiada and your average Spectra 20, I think you'd be surprised. A Spectra 20 without engine or running gear weighs in around 2200-2300. How much less do you you think a 4 stringer 20' Schiada weighs?
    My main point to BTO was not to be affraid of flipping the boat. The way that SDs boat was done, there will be support for the weight and the boat wont be totally resting on its side.
    Chris

Tom Foolery
    Originally posted by flat broke
    In regards to girth differences between a 20' Schiada and your average Spectra 20, I think you'd be surprised.
    Chris
    Its about 6" if I'm not mistaken. Schiada being the narrower of the two.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast