Thread: Info On Cams Bt Erson Please

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING, HEY KINDSVATOR FLAT, I AM INTERESTED IN YOUR GUYS THAT DO CAMS. YOU MENTIONED "ERSON". I AM BUILDING A GEN IV 502 4 BOLT/ROLLER ENGINE AND WAS WONDERING ABOUT A JET BOAT CAM. I WAS ALSO INTRIGUED BY THE REVERSAL OF 4 AND 7 FIRING ORDER THAT CHEVY DOES IN THEIR NEWEST CRATE ENGINES AND WONDERED HOW MUCH MORE THAT WOULD COST TO DO THE FIRING ORDER THING IF I AM ALREADY TALKING ABOUT A CUSTOM GRIND CAM ANYWAY.
    I PLAN TO USE THE ENGINE W/O A BLOWER TO BREAK IT IN NICE, AND THEN ADD A WHIPPLE CHARGER. I KNOW I'LL HAVE TO GET A DIFFERENT CAM WITH THE BLOWER SET-UP(JUST FOR BLASTING AROUND BOSTON HARBOR- NO 7 OR 8 GRAND RPM STUFF, JUST MAYBE 10 MINUTES AT 4 TO 6 K RPM'S THANKS VERY MUCH...BILL.

cal***boat
    Originally posted by THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING, HEY KINDSVATOR FLAT, I AM INTERESTED IN YOUR GUYS THAT DO CAMS. YOU MENTIONED "ERSON". I AM BUILDING A GEN IV 502 4 BOLT/ROLLER ENGINE AND WAS WONDERING ABOUT A JET BOAT CAM. I WAS ALSO INTRIGUED BY THE REVERSAL OF 4 AND 7 FIRING ORDER THAT CHEVY DOES IN THEIR NEWEST CRATE ENGINES AND WONDERED HOW MUCH MORE THAT WOULD COST TO DO THE FIRING ORDER THING IF I AM ALREADY TALKING ABOUT A CUSTOM GRIND CAM ANYWAY.
    I PLAN TO USE THE ENGINE W/O A BLOWER TO BREAK IT IN NICE, AND THEN ADD A WHIPPLE CHARGER. I KNOW I'LL HAVE TO GET A DIFFERENT CAM WITH THE BLOWER SET-UP(JUST FOR BLASTING AROUND BOSTON HARBOR- NO 7 OR 8 GRAND RPM STUFF, JUST MAYBE 10 MINUTES AT 4 TO 6 K RPM'S THANKS VERY MUCH...BILL.
    Bill check out Schneider racing Cams, We have ran thier cams for sometime and they are good people to deal with and thier cams build big power.
    Check out thier website and contact them and tell them what you are doing.
    Heres a link to thier website SCHNEIDER CAMS (http://www.schneidercams.com/)

Kindsvater Flat
    Hey Sidewinder.... It doesn't matter what cam company you go with, just about all of them will build custom cams. Only person I ordered a cam through that would not supply specs or anything was Doug Herbert. I no longer do business with them. I have had good luck with Erson so I will stay with them. Customer support has been good.
    ERSON (http://www.mrgasket.com/ersonmain.html)

FasterPussyCat
    Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
    Hey Sidewinder.... It doesn't matter what cam company you go with, just about all of them will build custom cams. Only person I ordered a cam through that would not supply specs or anything was Doug Herbert. I no longer do business with them. I have had good luck with Erson so I will stay with them. Customer support has been good.
    ERSON (http://www.mrgasket.com/ersonmain.html)
    do you think they can make a cam for my turbine

rmbuilder
    The 4/7 swap cams are between a $40.00 - $120.00 premium on your cam bill, however they are of no value on forced induction engines. In n/a pro stock applications they see slightly less than 1% hp increases, typically in the area of 10-15 hp.
    Bob

HOSS
    I thought the 4/7 swap was strictly for longevity.

rmbuilder
    The advantage is in the fuel distribution onto cylinder #2. In the conventional firing order 5 and 7 pull fuel to the back of the engine and then 2 pulls to the front at the opposite end. This became a problem in BBC because the number 2 and 7 cylinder ports are long. 5 helps 7 pull to the back then 2 tries to pull forward and gets lean. You do not see this on 1 and 8 because they are short runners. By revising order (swap 7 and 4), 8 helps 7 and 4 helps 2. Thus, your fuel distribution is more balanced between cylinders.
    Bob

HOSS
    Good info thanks.
    I would imagine there would be a noticeable difference in higher rpm hp as oppossed to an extreme change in low end torque?

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT! THERE IS SOME GOOD INFO HERE...BILL.