Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thinking about buying a jet boat

Larry Nebb
    I need a low cost boat to have fun with.
    Found a sidewinder that's 16'. It has a 455 olds and a berkley pump. Boat is in ok shape but is not a show winner.
    It's on a trailer with only one axle.
    He's asking 3,750 for it.
    I don't know much about jets so what should I look for?
    The price sounds ok to me but what do you guys think?

Jungle Boy
    Have you rode in it? A 455ci anchor is a real heavy engine in a little 16' boat. If the boat is in good condition (no rot, solid construction, pump good shape, ect) but the engine is not blown up (yet), you can alway put a small block in it for cheap.

cal***boat
    Originally posted by Larry Nebb
    I need a low cost boat to have fun with.
    Found a sidewinder that's 16'. It has a 455 olds and a berkley pump. Boat is in ok shape but is not a show winner.
    It's on a trailer with only one axle.
    He's asking 3,750 for it.
    I don't know much about jets so what should I look for?
    The price sounds ok to me but what do you guys think?
    Check out the boat trader online, There is alot of good deals on jets in there right now.

HOSS
    I`m thinking of selling mine want to take a look? Email me or private message.

Bense468
    If I was going to build a boat that small, I would be with Jungle on this one. Build a stroker small block. If you want to get crazy a blown stroker small block and you will be able to hammer on it all day and get some numbers out of her. Look for a berk style pump (berk, dom, at, legend etc)

Larry Nebb
    Guys, I do not want to build it. I'm not looking to be the fast guy with it. I want to just have fun with it at a low cost.
    I have a flatbottom that runs pretty hard so this is more of an all around boat. I want to just dump in gas and go. Walking on the deck and pulling up to the docks will be the norm with this boat.
    I know the boat floats and runs ok. The gel coat was red metal flake but is now pretty ratty. The seats were redone a few years ago and are in so so shape. Trailer is just an old trailer.
    So, this guy is asking 3,750 for it. What do you think if I was to offer him 3K and maybe go up to 3,500 max?
    Hoss, this one is in my area. It looks like you are pretty far away.

Dan Risolio
    Larry the sidewinders are not good boats from what I remember. You need to go back to the drawing board on that. But it sounds like you are not rolling in money so maybe it is a good deal for you if that is all you can afford. 455 olds are not pwerhouses but they always fire.

canuck1
    I'd say that for what you want to do with it for 3500 its cheap fun. a 16' boat with a small block chev is the only way to go, if it was aluminum it would even be better

canuck1
    And not stir up anything the sidewinder hulls are OK and the olds will run if you don't expect it to be a race boat

Outnumbered
    My brother in law is thinking about selling his jet. I don't know much about it but I think it’s a late 1970s 18' Hawaiian. Rode in it once and it was pretty fast. It has a built 460 with OT Bassetts and a berk that was just blueprinted by some guy in Havasu for about $2,800. The interior is a few years old, light tan. The gel coat is root beer brown metal flake on top and light tan on the bottom. The brown is pretty oxidized. Its on a single axle. A little TLC and it would make a good boat. Mechanically it’s pretty sound. I'm guessing $3-4k range is what he would want. The boat is in Kingman, it's about an hour or so from Havasu.
    Let me know.
    OL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast