Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm spreading the joy

Jungle Boy
    Working out here in the jungle gives a fella a different perspective on just how lucky we and our kids are by being raised in the USA or Canada (or the western world for that matter). Most kids, including mine, are overly spoiled with new stuff to replace broken or lost stuff. They don't have clue on just how lucky they are. I've been fortunate enough through my work, to have seen some things and places that most don't, some sad, some good. But the one thing that remains the same are the kids. They are generally happy with no worries in the world. The kids out here have it made if they have a old tire or a chunk of rope to play with. Every location we move the rig to, the kids come out of the woodwork and seem to pick on me for the goodies. I guess they must talk about the "loco gringo" that talks funny and gives out ice cream, cookies and soda. Here is a couple of photos that I took this evening. When was that last time your kid smiles like this over getting a Coke and a little packet of cookies. I wish I could take a few of them home.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...c-003f-med.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...c-001f-med.jpg

spectras only
    I'm sure they're more appreciative than most of our kids ,maybe happier at times too. From now on , I'll cut back giving in when my kid is about to start whining getting something

Sleek-Jet
    That's the thing about kids. Most, if not all, start out as pretty good eggs.
    What happens between there and here that gets us all screwed up???
    Where are you at know Jungle, that doesn't look like Canada.

Jungle Boy
    Amazon Jungle, Tarapoa, Ecuador. It's about 25 km from the Columbian border.

spectratoad
    That's cool. I have been around the world and kids are in general all the same. I did it before I had kids and I think it has helped me to not spoil my kids too badly and help them and I appreciate what things we are able to have.
    Good job jungle boy on putting things in perspective.

MagicMtnDan
    I thought your post would have a picture of a girl named Joy

gigamurph
    You're a good man JB! Most wouldn't even give the "little beggars" the time of day; and you show them a "world of kindness" with a simple Coke and cookies. I'd just lay low when the parents come lookin' for the "loco gringo" that kept them up all night with their kids' belly aches and racked up their dentist's bill!

locogringo
    Originally posted by Jungle Boy
    Amazon Jungle, Tarapoa, Ecuador. It's about 25 km from the Columbian border.
    Lived in Quito for 9 years from before first grade to 8th. Went to an American private school but the experience nonetheless was beneficial. Good to see caring people.
    What happens between there and here that gets us all screwed up???
    I'll get flamed but oh well, what happens is the degradation of the family home. Day care babies and a "what's best for me" mentailty.

Jungle Boy
    Originally posted by gigamurph
    You're a good man JB! Most wouldn't even give the "little beggars" the time of day; and you show them a "world of kindness" with a simple Coke and cookies. I'd just lay low when the parents come lookin' for the "loco gringo" that kept them up all night with their kids' belly aches and racked up their dentist's bill!
    The company that I work for supplies a doctor and a dentist for the locals, but your right. My wife told me that I should bring them tooth brushes if I've going to give that stuff.

Havasu Hangin'
    Keep up the good work, partner.
    That's gonna be an expensive college fund, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast