Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Build Advice

78Eliminator
    BACKGROUND:
    I am ready to start buying parts for my new motor which will be going into my Sanger Hydro (Wayne Herberts (Dossangers) old boat).
    Here is what I have:
    Chevy Bowtie tall deck with 4.25 bore. Brand spanking new, never been bored or prepped or anything.
    8/71 blower and I have not purchased the hat yet, but it's going to be injected.
    HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
    What is a good bore and stroke combo? I was thinking 4.25 bore AND stroke. What are most of these weekend drag boat guys running in their boats? Do I need massive CIs to run this thing, or should I stay conservative? I was almost thinking that if I stayed with the 4.25 bore, it will give me plenty of service in case I need to rebore down the line. Any suggestions appreciated....
    I have not purchased heads yet either. I was thinking about the Brodix BB2 Extras.
    Thanks

Hotcrusader76
    Brodix heads would be an awesome choice otherwise I've seen good results with the AFRs.

78Eliminator
    Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
    Brodix heads would be an awesome choice otherwise I've seen good results with the AFRs.
    Yeah, when I was at the drags at Ming a couple weeks ago, I saw a lot of both on the boats there......

whiskey & water
    Are you going to run on gas or alcohol?

smalls
    4.500 bore and 4.00 or 4.250 crank?????????? Block should be able to go 4.625 leaving you .125 for service,,,,,,,

78Eliminator
    Originally posted by whiskey & water
    Are you going to run on gas or alcohol?
    It's wide open right now. This is a full blown drag boat so I'm not too worried about mileage. I was thinking race gas, but it would not take much to steer me towards alky....

whiskey & water
    Just from my experience and what you want to do? To go fast and stay moderate with your cubic inches go alcohol. Also with the motors that i have lost , use aluminum rods. If something goes its easier on other parts.

whiskey & water
    With your bore right now with a 4.25 crank with give you 482 cubic inches on alcohol in your boat would be more than enough horsepower. You would have the capablilty to run 7.00 sec in the quarter mile as long as your hull is capable of that. Which i believe in would. Darrin Christle own this boat with a 427 bore 60 thousands and ran in the 7 sec class in the NJBA http://www.dragboats.com/gallery/ima...A_2474_316.jpg

78Eliminator
    Hey Whiskey, why is it that a lot of the blown drag boats are not running intercoolers?

fastvdriver
    go with the alky you will have a bunch of help when needed at the races. not very many injected gas rigs out there.
    you can also run the motor easy and save on parts when running the alky as compared to the gas.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast