Thread: Alpha Impeller Change?

Super D
    Wondering if I can tackle this one myself? Just unbolt the lower unit and r&r the rubber impeller, right? Bolt unit back on, new oil, and go boatin'! Needs a special little doodad tool - comes in a kit in Overton's? Scale of 1-10, easy, too hard, or just pay to have it done? Gonna void my extended warranty if I do it myself? What do you all do?

superV
    Super D:
    Wondering if I can tackle this one myself? Just unbolt the lower unit and r&r the rubber impeller, right? Bolt unit back on, new oil, and go boatin'! Needs a special little doodad tool - comes in a kit in Overton's? Scale of 1-10, easy, too hard, or just pay to have it done? Gonna void my extended warranty if I do it myself? What do you all do? It is a very easy job, and I would do it and buy an extra one to keep in the boat.However if you still have a long time on the warranty I would have them do it. I would think its coverd.

1BIGJIM
    You do not have to remove the outdrive from the boat. Just remove the lower half. You have to remove it anyway if you remove the outdrive! Do not forget to replace the little 'O' ring that goes between the upper and lower halfs. Have fun..

superV
    1BIGJIM:
    You do not have to remove the outdrive from the boat. Just remove the lower half. You have to remove it anyway if you remove the outdrive! Do not forget to replace the little 'O' ring that goes between the upper and lower halfs. Have fun.. That is what he said he was going to do "remove lower unit"

DUCKY
    Put the drive in forward before you drop the lower unit!!!! If you do not, the lower will put it self in forward as soon as you drop it.

superV
    DUCKY:
    Put the drive in forward before you drop the lower unit!!!! If you do not, the lower will put it self in forward as soon as you drop it. Good thinking!

Stupid Fast
    DUCKY:
    Put the drive in forward before you drop the lower unit!!!! If you do not, the lower will put it self in forward as soon as you drop it. Make sure it stays in forward While you have it apart. If not you will be getting to the point of placeing the whole thing in the dumpster. .(been there done that).
    When I do mine I pull the Upper and lower at the same time. I also grease the drive splines and most GOOD shops will lend or rent you an "alignment" tool. I check this also.
    On a scale of 1-10 it is about a 3. It takes me longer to drive to get the parts and drop the tool back off than it does to do the work.