Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Racing gas to mix with pump gas..

Tolly
    I once had a Howl fuel rep. tell me that their gas blended better with pump gas than did the C12 I was currently using. I realize that he was trying to "Sell" his product, but I have often wondered if there might have been some truth to his statement. Have any of you guys been told the same thing? Also, does anyone know if some of the race gasolines blend better with pump gas, or if it was just a bullshit sales pitch. I have been running Av-gas but I will not be able to buy it anymore here locally as my source will soon be gone so I am going to have to do something to keep the boat happy. 496ci BBC tall deck, Brodix BB-2 heads, 10:5:1 comp.
    Thanks

WacoTex
    Where in Texas are you?? I know tons of places to get AvGas from.

vdrivenman
    we can purchase it at the pump here at the local airports. you have to have a chevron platnium card,but anyone can obtain one.
    pull up to the pump, hook up the ground wire, it will ask for airplane numbers. i put in my tx'#s and pump away.
    available 24hrs a day.

Tolly
    Our local private airport will no longer sell it to us boat and hotrod guys, and there is no pay at the pump setup. The new managment actually said it was illegal, which I am pretty sure it isn't. I was going to send a buddy of mine up there that they don't know and have him tell them he needed it for his ultra-light, but regardless of that, I would still like to know the answer of my original question if anyone could answer it.

screamdreambrad
    Originally posted by Tolly
    Our local private airport will no longer sell it to us boat and hotrod guys, and there is no pay at the pump setup. The new managment actually said it was illegal, which I am pretty sure it isn't. I was going to send a buddy of mine up there that they don't know and have him tell them he needed it for his ultra-light, but regardless of that, I would still like to know the answer of my original question if anyone could answer it. i don't know anything about if it mixes better or not is even a problem, but i used to run one gallon to four 114 76 to 91 mobil that comes to like 99 octane i think. plenty for a 10.5:1 motor. brad

Heatseeker
    I've read somewhere that dispensing av-gas for non aviation purposes was a against federal law punishable by $25,000 fine for each offense.

svlperry
    down at the river they used to have av gas pumps to where u can pull up to the pump and u can buy it straight from the pump i don't know about know

squirt
    Originally posted by Heatseeker
    I've read somewhere that dispensing av-gas for non aviation purposes was a against federal law punishable by $25,000 fine for each offense.
    I don't know about anyone else but when I hammer it I'm flying

Duane HTP
    You can mix just about any GOOD brand of RACING FUEL with 91 octane unleaded and it will do just fine.
    Rememnber, the unleaded gets it's octane rating from being highly refined. The race gas gets it's octane from adding tetra ethyl lead or such.
    So if you mix 90 octane unleaded 1/2 and 1/2 with 100 octane racing gas you get 95 octane fuel, Right?? WRONG! The highly refined unleaded preimun gas pulls some of the lead away from the 100 octane racing fuel and produces an octane of about 97 1/2 for the new mixed fuel. Also because of the lubrication differences in the fuels, the racing gas is much better for your engine than the dry av gas. Some people mix a little Marvel Mystery Oil with their av gas to add lubricant. But, be careful there. Oil in fuel causes detonation at much less desirable conditions.
    I know there'll be a half dozen of you come on and say I've never had a problem with av gas. Good! Keep using it, but this is what can happen.

WacoTex
    OK, here is what I know for a fact --
    1) AvGas may not be used in a motor vehicle that is used on PUBLIC ROADS. That is because the state does not collect road tax from AvGas. They do collect airport tax, though! Which is a good thing, because it keeps airports open so we can keep buying AvGas. Avgas is usually only around $2.00 a gallon, so I mix it with el cheapo 87 octane at a 1:4 ratio (AV to 87) and this works out to be about the same as 95 octane (going by how much timing I can run).
    When you buy AvGas, tell the attendant it is for a plane based at a private strip.
    You can get AvGas delivered bulk, to your home or shop, as long as it isn't zoned "residential", so this only works for those that live in industrial parks or in the country. Many will only sell minimum quantity of 300, although the guy that delivers ours will do a minimum quantity of 100 gallons. It is $1.90 per gallon bulk. you can get large fuel tanks from any tractor supply company store.
    The whole thing about AvGas being too dry - - - - I don't buy it. Sure, when you get some on your hands it evaporates quickly, but that just means it doesn't have all the "Heavy" distillates you find in auto gas. You wouldn't believe the crap they mix into auto gas!! Also, auto gas is completely vapoized by the time it is lit off, so it is dry, too.
    I would like to see proof that you need to add marvel mystery oil. Sounds like an old wives tale. Unleaded gas IS NOT "highly refined". It is crap. There can be 200 (depending on the refinery and location) different chemicals in auto gas that are not allowed by law into AvGas. Besides the traces of diesel, heating oil, kerosene, motor oil, there are all kinds of crap that refineries would otherwise have to dispose of as hazardous waste. Instead, they mix it in with the gasoline. It all burns. They just add more MTBE and Tolulene to get the octane back up.
    Don't believe me? Ask someone that works at a refinery!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast