Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Aluminum Heads

Fired Up
    I've come to the conclusion that I will be in the market for a set of aftermarket heads. Now...which are the most reliable.
    This is really a subjective question to those of you running aluminum heads on your BBC's. These are the brands I've found so far:
    AFR, Brodix, Canfield, Dart, Edelbrock, GM, Jegs, World.
    Its quite a selection to choose from. I know some brands carry name brand recognition. Others may be unfamiliar, but their engineering may be better. Prices vary as well. Are all brands basically the same, but just a different name? Basically what do you like about the brand you chose? What prob's have you had?
    This will be going into my Canyon Flat that I will build up as I move up in brackets.
    thanks for your input

Fiat48
    That's a very debatable question. I've run some small block AFR's. They were very nicely done. I've run some Darts and found some problems with thin valve seats and not accurate in stud locations (may have since been corrected.) I've run the late GM performance head and they were fine except 20 runs later they had to be resuraced to be flat. Have a set of Edelbrocks new on the shelf, not run yet. I run Brodix on the three motors we have alive. Brodix have some features I like best. 80 runs blown alcohol and getting their first valve job since new impresses me. Also still straight and flat. Chambers were "as cast" closer than others. Personal preference. Blown alky hard on seats and valves. All this may not really apply to your application.
    Most important. Be cautious buying complete cylinder heads ready to bolt on. Reason with yourself how come complete heads are only a few bucks more than bare heads. Lot's of cheap valves, retainers, springs and guideplates out there that are coming on these heads. Be sure you know what you are buying. You don't want $5 valves (even if they are stainless) in these boat motors. Always best to buy bare heads and individual components.

Hotcrusader76
    I completely agree. Go with a bare set of heads preferably Brodix or AFR. If it was my choice, based on alot my clients that give me feedback, the AFR is an excellent Lakeboat head and the Brodix more geared towards all out racing.
    Hope that sheds some light for ya.
    ~Ty

quiet riot
    I'll just pass on some info that my machine gave me on a motor I'm building. For good out of the box performance he recommended afrs due to cost/performance factor of a fully cnc ported head. If you plan on really pushing a motor he said to save a few bucks and get a bare casting from someone like brodix or edlebrock victors and have them fully ported and gone thru.
    I went the route of afr's already assembled for my ford. They put springs on to match the cam and set the correct pressures and such. They have good valves already (tuliped, polished and backcut, severe duty) and we checked the pressures on the springs and they were right on the money. The only thing I did was to loosen up the guide clearances for my application. They seem pretty descent (I haven't run them yet though) with finish quality and such (straight surface, blind tapped holes, and each chamber within 1 cc of each other, etc.)
    You can get different exhaust port options for each intake size, for n2o, blown, etc for a couple extra bones with the afr's. Just depends kinda on your goals from what I've seen.
    jd

Hotcrusader76
    Did you go with the 185s?

quiet riot
    naw, I stepped up to the 205's and went with the exhaust for the n2o. Its the small things I'm finishing now like enlarging the oil pan and moving the scraper/windage tray for the bigger crank. And now thinking about changing the ign. Still thinking of your carb but that will be in the spring. Gonna break it in with the 700 I got now.
    jd

victorfb
    i went with the GM aluminium because i dig the little bow tie on the exaust port. hahaha. ok i went with them because i got a good deal on em. they are the 2.25 intake 1.88 exaust stainless valves, oval port heads. they are going on a 502 crate motor i have sitting here. comp cams roller rockers but im still unsure of which cam to use. i have 2. mild one is a hydrolic roller comp cams with 236in 242ex. @.050" duration .521in .540ex lift and 110degree lobe sep. the other is a solid roller comp cams special grind 254in 260ex. @.050" duration .661in .668ex. GVL with a 112 degree lobe sep. ill be running a single demon 850 carb and either an edelbrock air gap rpm performer, or a victor jr intake. i have the performer but can get a victor jr cheap. this is going in an 18' rogers with tilted but not set back berk pump. not sure of the impeller as of yet. i went with the oval port because i wanted the smaller 110 cc chambers to raise the CR into the low 9s. without having to replace the pistons. its basically going to be a lake/river runner, but i wouldnt mind spankin some of those yahoooos running around on occasion.

Racing Ray
    GM heads are now all made by Edlebrock. Any manufacturer can have casting flaws it happens.
    I have one old set of GM "D" port heads that one after all these years is still in great condition and one I had to seal the water jacket with epoxy to stop all the water leaks. These heads came on the same Corvette years ago.
    I run a set of Edlebrock heads on my 502 equipped GMC duallie for towing purposes. I put in 2.300 Ferra intake valves {sodium filled} and severe duty stainless exhaust valves. 50,000 miles so far no issues. They are pocket ported and intake matched.
    I run Edelbrock Marine heads on my 502 equipped 21' Ultra. I kept the standard equipped 2.225 stainless intakes and inconnel exhaust valves. 3 seasons and no issues.
    On my 511 race motor I run CNC'd Dart 320's. 7 seasons and no issues.
    On my 565 race motor I run Dart CNC'd 360s. One season with no head issues.
    In the past when I run smallblocks I used a -8 spread port Brodix heads. 2 seasons and no issues still in use on another car today after many years of service.
    I also ran a set of 220 AFR's still in use today with no issues.
    In my opinion you have asked what is better Ford, Chevy or Chyrsler. It is more brand preferance than actual quality, there won't be a big gain from one manufacturer to another the performance comes from what mods are done to them after you get them.
    When you are ready to modify them later will come the big choice based on who ends up with the power after porting them. Not all CNC programs are equal.

Dave C
    Does anyone know how long the backorder "wait" is for AFR heads for BBC's?
    I heard that it was a long time.

Pro Line has a new head out that flows extremely well out of the box. I will be purchasing some soon to replace my Canfields that I currently have. The Canfields were nice but we compared the two and thought the Pro Lines looked to be the better head. Only Time will tell!!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast