Thread: New Fuel Tank Senders

Special K
    I pulled out my fuel tanks the other weekend to find that both my fuel tank sending units were flaking bits of rust and cork (from the gaskets) into the gas.
    Does anyone know where I can buy some new senders?
    Thanks for any info...
    -K-

BrendellaJet
    Sorry man, I dont know where to go, you may try someplace like Rex Marine?
    Not to hijack your thread or anything, but does anyone know what the trick is to find a sender for a custom tank? Whats the trick to picking the right sender and setting it up?

We have senders if you need, just give a call (http://www.rexmar.com/page59.html)

Special K
    Thanks Mike! I looked all over your site, but I couldn't seem to find 'em. I'll be giving you a call.
    -K-

Heatseeker
    Try JC Whitney. $14.95 each. I've used 4 of them in two different boats and never had a problem. They're available in Chev and Ford/Mopar ranges. On my jet, I replaced the guages w/Autometers and went through hell trying to match one of their guages to my tank's senders. I finally replaced the senders w/JC Whitney replacements. No problems in 5 seasons.

Originally posted by Special K
    Thanks Mike! I looked all over your site, but I couldn't seem to find 'em. I'll be giving you a call.
    -K-
    I know, I couldn't find them at first either
    I will add them to the index shortly.

mgar_red
    If your fuel gauge brand is known, you could check with the manufacturer to get the ohm range. Most autoparts stores carry some diff. suppliers of aftermarket replacement senders.
    All the sending unit is doing is varying the amount of resistance to ground, hence why you can check a gauge to see if it's good by grounding its sending wire for just a second and seeing if the gauge pegs over.
    If you have room to work, you could hold your replacement sending unit on the outside of your tank at the same position as if it was installed. Operate the arm up and down of it's range, as if inside the tank, to see if your gauge corresponds with its position. If need be, you can bend the arm just enough to get full 'Empty' status, as that's what you really want to know, isn't it? Not an expert here, but have had some hands-on with.

He is correct on the sender Ohm ratings varying at auto parts stores. Most aftermarket gauges like AutoMeter, SW, Faria, etc, etc utilize senders with a 240-33 ohm range. Most OEM cars and trucks do not. Just be aware of this when your shopping auto parts suppliers for gas senders for aftermarket gauges.

Heatseeker
    I found that Autometer made 4 or 5 different range gauges. And not one of them matched the senders I had .

To my knowledge AM makes 3... ford, Chevy, and aftermarket 240-33 ohm (there is possibly others). They make the ford and chevy gauges for use in cars, etc that already have OE senders. We don't even stock the Ford and Chevy gauges because they're almost never used in boats.