Thread: Omc Drive To A Volvo

white928
    HAS ANY ONE OUT THERE CHANGED FROM A OMC 235 DRIVE TO A VOLVO 280? HOW DID YOU FILL IN THE LARGER HOLE? I WAS THINKING OF MAKING A PLATE FROM 3/8 STAINLESS PLATE. WHAT ARE SOME DEMENSIONS I SHOULD WATCH OUT FOR? THANKS

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by white928
    HAS ANY ONE OUT THERE CHANGED FROM A OMC 235 DRIVE TO A VOLVO 280?
    Uh...what's the reason to go with the 280?
    You could probably make a plate, but since you have the motor and drive out, you could just have some build a new transom...then cut a new hole and start over.

white928
    I HAVE THE GOOD WORKING 280 AND THE VOLVO GEARS AND BEARINGS ARE SHOT. I ALSO WANT TO REPLACE THE OMC CRYSLER WITH THE CHEVY 350 ON THE VOLVO SO I CAN GET MORE POWER. THE REASON I WAS THINKING OF THE PLATE IS I AM GOOD WITH METAL A INEXPERIANCED WITH FIBERGLASS. I AM ALSO CHEAP.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by white928
    ...I AM ALSO CHEAP.
    I won't touch that one. I imagine it can be done....just not sure if I'd do it.
    The 280 is a non-trimable drive, that is obsolite. Keep in mind parts are hard to come by...if you plan on keeping the boat, you might be kicking yourself down the road.
    The transom has ALOT of stress on it...so it has to be very strong. If the transom cracks...the boat will sink.
    Sinking = not good
    To replace the wood would probably be less than $500. Re-rigging the boat would be the tough part (most expensive). If you're gonna do it yourself, you'll need to align mounts for the new engine, and set the drive height (find a Volvo 280 template), and cutout the hole for the transom shield. The 280 uses three tabs on the bellhousing for alignment- the need to all be the same distance from the transom shield (adjustable motor mounts will do the trick).
    After that, it's pretty strightforward....fuel, ignition, steering, etc.
    It can be done, but it won't be easy.

white928
    SOUNDS LIKE IT WILL BE EASYER TO FIX THE OMC DRIVE AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET MORE POWER OUT OF THE CRYSLER. THANKS

chevydog
    You cant do it with metal because the Omc pushes on the 4 motor mounts And the volvo merc and the later model omc cobras push on the transom. I dont think that omc ever used a chrysler engine . There is still alot of parts availible for the 280 drive . You can also find transom shields with trim on them .