Thread: Is there any new noise laws?

Lavey Huffer
    I read HOT BOAT a while back and they were saying there are new noise laws will be in effect,is it county specific or CA statewide ,whats the deal is there a decibel max.?I dont think I'll have a problem because I have water jacketed through transom exaust.

Moneypitt
    Yes, yes, and yes...........Not only is there a new ( I think) noise level, but a different way of checking db levels. There have been dozens of threads about it, how Az and Ca. are using different methods and distances, but how the Havasu marina was illegally dening access to boats that failed "their" test. Do a search for "noise levels" or Havasu marina, or look thru some of "boatcops" posts from about a year ago, January 05.........I have no experience with the current, or past enforcement, but there are others here with horror stories. One thing Boatcop did say,(that I remember) was that IF a boat owner/driver was actually making an effort, meaning running water and baffles, he would not cite them, but would tell them their stuff was illegal and they should do something different before the next time......Also, no water, no baffles, zoomies, etc. would/could result in a ticket, ie: no effort.....MP

Beer-30
    There are several old threads here about it. Haven't heard a thing this year - or in a long while for that matter. I have my clamp-on Gibsons next to the motor, brand new in the box, in case I need them. Didn't need them all last year. I had LE boat following me through the channel, not looking at me, just ended up that way. As they idled through behind me, they just kept looking at people on the beach; and eventually passed me up. Mine is definitely not "legal" by the book, but it is just a stock HO. It seemed last year that is was the screw-offs that were getting popped; revving under the bridge and whatnot.