Originally posted by likwidsukr
I second that HH. I would like that info as well.
Here's my (long ramble) on subs in the bow.
Since the bow area (or cabin in a bigger boat) is an enclosure itself, has a tuning frequency. This frequency is dictated by size, as well as the size of the opening (along with interior, etc.).
The audio competition guys have figured out that frequency tuning is very important if they want to win (AKA- loud). There was a guy hitting 160+dbs with a single 10" last year...I don't think he could have done it without calculating the tuning frequency of his car, then designing the box (and sub) to match.
Placing subs in the bow induces the sub frequencies into this area, before exiting into the seating area. Now...what you've created is a big "band pass" to some degree. Depending on the tuning frequency of the sub box and the bow area, it could create standing wave problems (or none at all).
How many times have you heard bow subs that are "boomy"? They sound loud as hell in the bow are (even flexes the deck), but loses something once you get outside. Probably more often than not.
Smaller jets are less prone to this, as the smaller enclosure with the bigger opening will usually have a higher tuning frequency than the subs.
So I guess what I'm saying is that bow sub installers usually fall into one of two categories:
1. Those that calculate the tuning frequency, and build a custom enclosure to match.
2. A kid with a drill, some particle board, and a saw that put them there "because there's lots of room".
There are very few #1's out there...as most installers are looking to get you out the door (I used to be one)...and calculating the interior surface area (and accoustics) of a boat is not fun.
Sometimes you'll get lucky with #2, but I'd look to #1 for guidance.
I built my pedestal for my subs 'cuz I ain't smart enough to figger how boomy they'd be under the bow....and I didn't want to chance it.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/h...r_pedestal.jpg
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/subs.jpg