Thread: Shoes, and more shoes

FoMoCo
    Anybody ran a Back Cut Shoe on a V bottom with sucess? How far down fom the keel line is it supposed to sit? Anybody tried both Flat cut & B/C on the same boat? What was the difference?

HBjet
    I have a back cut shoe on my V bottom boat.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...oodinstall.jpg
    As you can see in the photo, the keel line and the bitting edge of the shoe are at the same level. It's hard to compare to my other flat shoe because for one it was hanging down farther then it should have been, and with this shoe, I had the intake reset and a different motor, so I couldn't tell you the exact changes. Even before the bottom work to the hull, the boat seemed to lift more at higher speeds. One big thing I noticed was when your at speeds 80mph and above and you begin to let off the gas, you have to do so ever so slightly because the back end will want to continue to lift sending you on a wild ride to calm it down. It takes some getting used to and you can slow the boat down safely, but just not as fast as you used to. You could also trim the shoe by a 1/16th making it shorter which will make it easier to slow down from those speeds, but then you loose some of your bite, which makes the boat slower. I know because we tried that and I didn't like the loss in mph. So I got a couple of shims (1/16th and 1/8th) so I could put it back to where it was, or lower it from where it is in the photo by another 1/16th, or even an 1/8th when using both shims.
    HBjet

Good pics HB.
    That's what I was talking about Phil, drop that BC shoe so it's even with the keel. Shims are lots cheaper than shoes. It just might be the e ticket you're looking for to settle the Cheena down some.
    HB has tons of lift on his boat. That's what I'm looking for out of mine. That picture from the CBBB this summer showed his hull way out of the water.
    Still got that pic HB? It's a shot where you had to be running close to flat out and the guys got a nice tight shot where your boat filled the whole frame of the pic.

flat broke
    Dan,
    was this the pic you were thinking of?
    http://www.classicboatbeachbash.com/cbbb03/Dscn2292.jpg
    I'd sure like to shake the hand of the guys that got pics like that from the CBBB
    Chris

Yup.
    I'd sure like to shake the hand of the guys that got pics like that from the CBBB
    I would think that'd be pretty easy!
    Nice job of picture taking. You guys could be professionals.

FoMoCo
    So why is a Back Cut So much better? Does it make the boat ride more outa the water than a Flat? I am not sure I like the tought of teh boat gettin wild after I let off of the gas!

hack job
    Originally posted by flat broke
    Dan,
    http://www.classicboatbeachbash.com/cbbb03/Dscn2292.jpg
    Chris
    ok but it will cost about 2800 bucks

HBjet
    That is a great photo! Thanks again...
    In that photo though I was only turning 5200rpm and that's because I had a bad plug wire and a dead spark plug (Plug wires where a year old, but spark plug was new) I corrected the problem right after that weekend with a new set of plugs and wires. Now she's back at 5800rpm.
    The theory is less wetted surface the faster you will go. A back cut shoe is just one more way to get a little more lift out of the boat therefore picking up more speed. Don't worry too much about the handling when slowing down just yet. If you really want to see the results, then run say at 50mph then slow down, then 60, 70, and so on until you can't go any faster. I don't know what speed your boat goes, so I can't exactly say you will encounter the exact same problem I have, but it is something to be aware of. If you don't like it, then put in the other shoe and continue boating and have the B/C one trimmed down a little, then try that out.
    Anyways, good luck!
    HBjet