Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braided Hoses

Focker
    What Is The Advantage Of Braided Hoses Vs Rubber Hoses Other Than The Look.
    How Do You Attach A Braided Hose - Where A Rubber Hose Is Clamped On?
    Where Do U Buy Braided Hoses?
    Thanks

Moneypitt
    Usually the steel braided stuff is of a better quality, impervious to most fluids, looks nicer, lasts longer, (usually), and shows everyone that you spare no expense to make your stuff look nice!! Now as far as attaching to hose barbs,(a complete waste of good hose, IMO) there are collars that you put a hose clamp inside of and the screw part is the only part of the clamp that shows. They work ok, but to really gain the benefits of the braided hose you need to take out a loan/ 2nd mortage/ or come up with a bunch of cash and buy the correct fittings for the hoses you intend to use. This is the correct way. This way, will pay for it's self in longivity, which I've seen last for years and years. Hoses on the same boat for over 15 years and still going strong, (and NO they are not the ones used for fuel) mainly water lines. (The fuel were replaced a couple of years ago, just because they have fuel in them, and fuel does create fires). There are a few guys here on the boards that can hook you up with all the bling fittings in all sorts of bitchen colors, straights, angles, elbows etc. and the SS hose to go with them. Because of the expense, I suggest you plan your change over carefully and buy the right stuff the first time. You will also need the pipe thread to AN thread adaptors to complete the job, but they also come in bitchen colors. Gofastracer, and Superdave are 2 names that come to mind that stock and sell what you need, and I'm sure there are others here on the boards. I would not try to do it thru a retail outlet, cause they won't even kiss you as they screw you. I just replaced a #12 hose to f/male, elbow, 1 fitting, $34.00........so use the guys here for the deals..........MP

Captain Assin' Off
    The advantage of braided hoses is the standard W.P. ( Working Pressure) You get a higher rate on a braided hose than a rubber hose. The way you attach to the manifold, or other component is via an adapter. The standard for braided hoses is AN, ( Army-Navy) thread size, similar to SAE/JIC, but not exact, so you'll need Pipe-AN adapters. Thread the pipe size into your coresponding pipe hole, and your hose size of choice. Looks are an added bonus, but there are braided hoses in other than stainless available for covered engines, if you prefer. Bulk is available from such retailers as Summit, or others, and the hose size is as followes: -4=1/4, -6=3/8", -8=1/2", and so on in the range, -16=1" Size accordingly, run braided, for reliability, stainless for a bonus for the show, have a hose cutter nearby, or a hacksaw w/ tape (ick!) and be safe!

Moneypitt
    First get a box of bandaids, as the little whiskers will make you bleed. The best way I've seen to cut the stuff is to duct tape where you want to cut and use a chop saw/abrasive blade thru the tape. This keeps both ends nice. Again, watch out for the whiskers, they hurt. And he is right about working pressure, that is why the stuff is required in aircraft systems.........MP

Captain Assin' Off
    That Money Pitt says is Spot On. I just happen to have been given a commercial hose cutter from work (SCORE!) and so I'm personally spoiled. Enjoy your duct tape and hacksaw! I'd cut for you, but I live in Seattle. :cry:

Squeezing Spectra
    I thought it was all about the Bling Bling ?

WUTWZAT
    I thought it was all about the Bling Bling ?
    Don't you mean BLING BLONG short bus pilot? :crossx:

JAY4SPEED
    Steel braided line has many benefits like mentioned above. However one thing I've experienced with steel braided line is to make sure its secure and does not move around and rub on anything. The steel braid can act like a saw if left laying in contact with aluminum or fiberglass and there is enough vibration present. I happened to notice a hole in my valve cover on the race car from a steel braided line a few years ago. There is Nylon braided line available (Earl's performance plumbing Pro-Lite hose), but that's even more expensive than steel braided line but is much lighter weight and won't saw through items it comes in contact with. I was going to look into that as an alternative for the boat.
    Jay

Focker
    Thanks Guys
    I Have Quite A Project A Head Of Me

superdave013
    Steel braided line has many benefits like mentioned above. However one thing I've experienced with steel braided line is to make sure its secure and does not move around and rub on anything. The steel braid can act like a saw if left laying in contact with aluminum or fiberglass and there is enough vibration present.
    Jay
    ding ding ding, that is a great point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast