Thread: Christmas I'll Never Forget

Chico&Zeus
    So we get up this morning to open presents...I run downstairs and step in a puddle....WTF??? My living room, kitchen, pantry and 1/2 bath all have a 1/4" of water. First thing I thought was that the hose on the back of the refrigerator must have broke, pull out the fridge and no leak? I get out the shop vac and the wife gets out some towles...can't find the leak so we clean it all up. Next she puts the 15 or so towles in the wash and we get ready to open gifts when the unthinkable happens....the toilet in the 1/2 bath starts overflowing and there's sh*t and tissues pouring all over the place. She is screaming and I'm yelling SHUT THE WASHER OFF!!! We found the leak, sewer is backed up between the house and the street, called Roto Router, no answer, so the next one in the phone book is Reddi Router...they came out at the tune of a few hundred bucks....which I would never have paid except that it's Christmas and I knew we were screwed. Well they snaked the line and my wife learned that certain feminine products are no longer allowed to be flushed! I shop vac'd about 60 gallons of sewage that went all over my downstairs, mixed up some bleach and hot water and scrubbed every square inch of the floor (tile thank God!!!). Hope everyone's Christmas is better than mine...oh yea, I got some great gifts but for some reason, that's not what I'll remember from this year! Oh, the water that we first cleaned up must have been from the dishwasher overflowing, we run it at night when we're asleep....DAMN THOSE TAMPONS!!!

Cas
    DAMN THOSE TAMPONS!!!
    Sorry it had to happen on Christmas but seen it happen numerous times,
    the plug that keeps plugging...........

wildbillg
    Dont forget to call your house insureance co.
    They will take care of all the repairs and if it should happen again....
    enough water on teh floor might make the tiles start to lift (Maybe), better safe then sorry.....

Mandelon
    Did the drywall get wet? If so, pull the baseboards off and run blowers and a dehumidifer. If you get mold it could cost you thousands of $$$$$. Don't take any chances.....check really well.

JetBoatRich
    That is no way to start anyday

Tahiti350
    My parents were warned by their insurance that any insurance company can now cancel homeowners insurance after 1 flood/water leak claim, and most will, due to the cost of any future mold/mildew claims. As stated above they can run in the multi $K range.
    Get it dried out ASAP!!!!!
    BTW, sheetrock will wick water 3-4 times the original water depth in a matter of a couple of hours. "Don't ask me how I know."

Mandelon
    I wouldn't report it as a claim unless it is many thousands of $$$ of damage. Most policies exclude mold anyway. Even a call to your agent can get your home on the CLUE database.... :yuk: But seriously, get it dried up quickly, and all of it too. Mold can grow within 24 hours......
    Man--->mold remediator<----delon