Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prop Vs. Jet

WetBehindtheEars
    Two weeks ago we went to Havasu (sorry if I spelled it wrong) with some friends who had a boat. I haven't had that good of a time in a while. I used to go with my friends parents to Lake Mead when I was a kid. Well my wife and I decided to look into geting a boat. My, question is this... What are the performance pros and cons with both Jet drive and prop drive. I know the mechanics of each, as in how they work, but don't know why you would choose one over the other... Thanks

man wbe,you dont know the can of worms your opening with that ?

WetBehindtheEars
    What, did I ask a forbidden question in this forum? Boatnam2 which do you have? And why did you choose the one you did. I just want to be a little informed befor I purchase. Thanks

i have a prop but can appreciate all kinks of propulsion.i not one to bag on this or that if its a sweet boat or even if its a little run down if your out boating thats all that matters.iv'e owned a couple of ob's and a couple of inboards and liked both.actually i have a poonton boat with an outboard so i guess i have both right now.never owned a jet but would if i ever decide to go back down in the size of the boat.my new boat is 28 ft and an outdrive is best for my application.ofcourse the biggest problem with a prop is hitting bottom or tearing someones arm off.dont really no the down side to a jet never owned one.

Racing Ray
    [This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 12, 2002).]

WetBehindtheEars
    Hey, thanks for the insight. The 2:1 gas savings is good to know. I would appreciate any other insight anyone might have out there. Its very cool to be able to go somewhere with such a weath of knowledge at your fingertips. I hope everyone had a great time this weekend.
    [This message has been edited by WetBehindtheEars (edited September 02, 2001).]

WetBehindtheEars
    Hey, thanks for the insight. The 2:1 gas savings is good to know. I would appreciate any other insight anyone might have out there. Its very cool to be able to go somewhere with such a weath of knowledge at your fingertips. I hope everyone had a great time this weekend.

WetBehindtheEars
    Sorry for the double posts.. I am still getting used to the editing feature..

Racing Ray
    [This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 12, 2002).]

Havasu Hangin'
    To expand upon the thoughts of my esteemed colleagues:
    Jets
    Pro- No sharp blade to chop up things you don't want to chop up.
    Con- Can be disabled by sucking up a rope, or something as basic as a plastic bag. Also, no steering without power.
    Outdrive
    Pro- Will chop through most ropes and plastic bags, etc. In addition, you can steer without power.
    Con- Will also chop through most things you don't want to be chopped through (like boatnam said).
    I don't think the jet fanatics...er.. I mean guys come over here much. Post this in the "Jet Performance" or "Hot Boats Hot Spots" sections, and you might get some passionate responses.
    http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy25.gif
    [This message has been edited by Havasu Hangin' (edited September 03, 2001).]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast