Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prop Vs. Jet

WetBehindtheEars
    Thanks for all your helpful advice. I will take your advice Havasu Hangin' and post something in the Jet Performance section.

rivercrazy
    If you run in shallow water, get the jet otherwise get an outdrive. If you do run an outdrive at the river the cost savings of the gas will quickly be redeployed in props, gears, and propshafts...

Slick
    If you want some more feedback I can post in the Jet forum and you'll have more Pro feedback than you know what to do with. I run 21' Open Bow Caliber 1 502 (440hp) with a Berkeley Jet. I love jets simply because (like V-drives) most jet boat owners are pretty fanatic. Find something within your price range that you like, either v-drive, jet, outboard or I/O and go for it. Good luck.
    If I may quoted the great and powerfull Edroe: "Never Tailgate a Jet Boat"
    Later
    Slick

RiverDave
    WetBehindtheEars, would you like to be passing people or gettting passed? In here lies the answer to your question http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Go with a prop go twice as fast with half the power. However jets are safer when it comes to swimming etc....
    RD

Hustler
    Hey RD i got one for this topic buddy. I was following a freind of mine on sunday when all of the sudden the Fufu queen yells OHHH as i look up i see this gray thing come off my buddys boat and sink as drove over what he hit with my slow jet. By the I just want to say welcome to my buddy drveless who i was following on sunday.. Soo Dave after that miss haps i think i will stick with the Hustler and my slow jet.
    Hustler

GOT WATER ??
    Read: Lost my outdrive at the Delta

rivercrazy
    OK R.D. - I'm gonna give you crap (in a humorous way of course) for that last post.
    We all know that an outdrives and jet with equal power perform differently. The jet will kill the O/D out of the hole and up to about 35mph. From there the O/D will generally walk away from the jet. However, my jet boat with 454 mag goes 57-59mph. I know for sure the same boat with an outdrive will NOT go 114mph! It would probably go in the mid to high 70's though and that's pretty damn fast for a stock engine package.

RiverDave
    RiverCrazy, you have a very valid point about not running 114. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif I'd be interesting in seeing (Particularly on your boat) Accelleration data from shockwave on both an I/O and a jet. Now I'm not the worlds smartest man but I don't think there's going to be a very big difference. Does shockwave have that Data?
    RD

rivercrazy
    I really was only trying to be funny here RD.
    I can't find data on the same two boats with the same HP ratings with different drives. I can speak from experience though. I met a guy at the river with the same hull as mine with the open bow. He had the Merc EFI 385hp model and I have a Marine Power 390hp. Its still not apples to apples as the Marine Power is rated at the crank and the Merc is rated at the prop shaft. I think mine would be rated at 365hp at the prop shaft.
    We raced a bit. I took him out of the hole with my A impeller (buy about 4 boat lengths). He was running his 4 blade which he said was better out of the hole. He walked past me at about 40mph. He said the 4 blade would run 74-75 and with the 3 blade 77-78.
    It did make me think twice about having a jet versus outdrive though. He would run about 60 at 4,000 rpm. Mine only runs 43-44 at the same rpm.

RiverDave
    RiverCrazy, I know bud, but once you get me thinking about something I can't stop. I.E. Prop on the front of the outdrive. I was just wondering if there was actually any data available. Most O/B guys run there jack plates so high that they don't accellerate that well, but they kick a** on the top end.
    RD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast