Thread: Return style regulator

Craig
    Here's a picture of the return style fuel pressure regulator I put together for the boat. Even after sitting on the engine stand for a year, the motor fired right up, no leaks or problems Drive goes to the shop next week and then it's boating time, weather be damned
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...f/PC212269.JPG
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...f/PC212264.JPG

Infomaniac
    Looks great man.
    Are you returning the fuel to the block in the front of the engine? This ties the tanks together? Cool.
    Keep good blower belts on it. !!!!
    How much press are you running?

Craig
    Yes, I bought a 3-way valve that directs the flow back to the appropriate tank. Would have liked to just use one of IMCO's valves for a F.I. motor that has the return provision, but instead of dropping $600 for that, I'll lift the hatch once a day and flip the valve Hell, these motor's need to be kept an eye on anyway
    Running 7 pounds of fuel pressure through the rpm's. Hopefully we'll be lake testing in January. Good air and really not that cold here, maybe 60's.

Craig
    Originally posted by riodog
    Why make it so complicated? Just "T" your return line into the main feed line before the pump and then you don't have to worry about which tank it goes too. Also, not very clear by the photos but where do the two lines go at the left of the pressure regulator? Wouldn't it have been much simpler(and cheaper) to just run a line from your pump to the fuel log, feed the carbs from there, then into a $29 enderely fuel valve, then back to the main feed line with a "T" before the pump? Been doin it this way for years ! Just a thought.
    Riodog
    While simple would be nice, I don't think it's practical. Say I went to the lake with two full tanks and just a tee on the return. I'm drawing off of the left tank and doing a lot of idling. The return flow is now split back to both tanks, the left one which is OK, but also the right tank, which is full already. Fuel will start coming out of the full right tanks vent.
    The one small line is the line to my fuel pressure gauge. The bigger line has nothing to do with the fuel, it's the intercooler discharge.
    This whole set up only cost me $175. I made the fuel log ($6.00) the regulator was $69 and the return valve was $100, granted I could have gone with a less expensive three way valve for the return. I had all of the hoses and fittings in my junk box
    So you return the fuel back to the suction of the pump? Where and how do you regulate fuel pressure?

Craig
    Sounds like a good idea, naturally I hear about it after replumbing everything