Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Stokers or HST's with mercury promax's?

STOKER909
    My brother runs a Pro-Max 300 and has had great luck. He popped his 2.5 twice in the first two years. He said screw the high rpm's and went with the larger Pro-Max 300 motor. Better in all situations. At Stoker said don't do it but should you really take advice from a Evinrude guy? LOL Anyway it is a much better boat and a lot less weight sensative. Hope this helps
    Rick
    So he has one on a 20 foot stoker? If so I would love to hear what kind of rigging setup he has with it. Any setback? Is the turning capability compromised or improved for that matter?
    And as far as destroying those high strung race 2.5 engines that is the reason that I too would prefer the lower rpm torque and nearly bulletproof reliability of a 300 promax (which was my original intent) and that extra torque would afford me the ability to lope the motor along at a pretty good clip with a 28 to 32 pitch prop. My intent is to have a motor on that boat that would be the last motor that I would ever need and have power to spare.

STOKER909
    Preferably my youngest son wouldn't be driving the boat.

STOKER909
    Well I would say listen to Al....at least he is warning you against building a boat that might be dangerous to drive or put you and your family in danger.
    Now if your goal is to build a race boat than have at it....but personally I will listen to the builder of a boat over some people on the internet any day. Esepcially when these people dont give a $hit if your boat puts your family in Danger. I do have to say it would be interested to see though, and if you do go this way....keep us updated.
    I do appreciate everyones input and my family's safety is paramount, I just think that what it comes down to mainly is my foot. I do not intend to have my foot in it, especially with my little ones aboard. The goal that I have, I already stated, and if I am an absolute idiot please tell me so but give me your reasons and experience to why. It is not like I just started driving boats or outboards for that matter. I have been driving high performance boats since I was 12 now turning 33.
    With that said please know that I still respect your experience and opinions.

Towndrunk
    I like that paint scheme. Should be a fine rig when done. I agree with you when you say it's your foot. I think I heard a hint of envy from someone! :jawdrop:

STOKER909
    just put down my deposit this morning! Weeeeeeeee! :rollside:

Kim Hanson
    I do appreciate everyones input and my family's safety is paramount, I just think that what it comes down to mainly is my foot. I do not intend to have my foot in it, especially with my little ones aboard. The goal that I have, I already stated, and if I am an absolute idiot please tell me so but give me your reasons and experience to why. It is not like I just started driving boats or outboards for that matter. I have been driving high performance boats since I was 12 now turning 33.
    With that said please know that I still respect your experience and opinions.
    I don't know anything about Stokers but I think its getting use to the boat before you start going crazy. I have to ask you, do you think a 300 will reach 100 mph in that boat ? I have been in a Liberater with a 300X and the best was 95.........( . )( . ).......My kids like about 70-80 mph, smooth ride even in 2-3 foot chop and they say it looks like it is going a 100 mph sitting on the beach. Happy boating bra

STOKER909
    I don't know anything about Stokers but I think its getting use to the boat before you start going crazy. I have to ask you, do you think a 300 will reach 100 mph in that boat ? I have been in a Liberater with a 300X and the best was 95.........( . )( . ).......My kids like about 70-80 mph, smooth ride even in 2-3 foot chop and they say it looks like it is going a 100 mph sitting on the beach. Happy boating bra
    Considering that the HST bottom is identical to mine and the 2 boats are almost identical in weight then now what do you think? I have plenty of seat time in this boat and I am confident that this boat would easily be in the upper 90's to 100+ by myself if i pushed it. I would never take my kids that fast and they already have seen 75 in it which is borderline even though (like your HST it is extremely stable feeling.) That 300 motor is essentially stock except for the sportmaster lower unit and the painted cowl.

Kim Hanson
    Considering that the HST bottom is identical to mine and the 2 boats are almost identical in weight then now what do you think? I have plenty of seat time in this boat and I am confident that this boat would easily be in the upper 90's to 100+ by myself if i pushed it. I would never take my kids that fast and they already have seen 75 in it which is borderline even though (like your HST it is extremely stable feeling.) That 300 motor is essentially stock except for the sportmaster lower unit and the painted cowl.
    It's all about horsepower buddy, @ 300 hp I was hitting a hundred +! 340 @ the prop on this new rebuild, still under 6000 grand..106 mph and just breaking it in bra, that 300 won't touch a 100 mph Don't want to break your bubble, but 90 + is still fast bra...........( . )( . )...........
    When I did my last gps on her, 2 people and 20 gallons of fuel.....106 mph, still amazed at that speed. This year, she will see over 7000 grand and I will gps it so all can see...........

STOKER909
    It's all about horsepower buddy, @ 300 hp I was hitting a hundred +! 340 @ the prop on this new rebuild, still under 6000 grand..106 mph and just breaking it in bra, that 300 won't touch a 100 mph Don't want to break your bubble, but 90 + is still fast bra...........( . )( . )...........
    When I did my last gps on her, 2 people and 20 gallons of fuel.....106 mph, still amazed at that speed. This year, she will see over 7000 grand and I will gps it so all can see...........
    Haha even if I am wrong that is still plenty fast!
    Oh and another thing I may not be getting the motor after all! He had that motor listed on Ebay at the same time and about an hour right after I called in my deposit somebody won the auction with buy it now. Which isn't cool because they should have ended their auction once I committed, now they are saying that they have to honor that buyer and I am thinking, "well what about honoring me!" So we will see, hopefully I will have an answer in the morning. They'd better honor our deal! What's right is right, I had it first!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast