Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Boat, Which way to go with stereo?

OutCole'd
    I am looking at a new boat. I think I could get more bang for my buck if I buy the boat without stereo & have it installed aftermarket. Can you get a decent system installed for around $2,500?

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by OutCole'd
    Can you get a decent system installed for around $2,500?
    How big of a boat? What comes with the boat?

OutCole'd
    28' Deck Boat, I am planning on buying it with a system at all. For a nothing special system, it is a $2,700 upgrade and I think I would do better having it installed after the purchase.

Havasu Hangin'
    Yeah...you're probably right. I'd look at what they are giving you for $2,700...you can probably do better.
    How far along is the boat?

OutCole'd
    I have not closed the deal yet. I hope to have good news by the middle of next week. I am just trying to get ideas on which way to go on some of the options. These forums are usully a great source for info like that. Many peeps who have traveled this road before me.

Havasu Hangin'
    A big expense (probably the biggest) on an install is running wires and cutting holes, because the interior has to be taken apart again.
    If it were me, I'd work that in as part of the build. Then, all you'd really have to do is bolt in a head unit, amps, and speakers.

TrojanDan
    I agree that one of the biggest costs in a stereo is the install. My (stereo shop) install alone was about $1k. When we bought our boat the previous owner paid ~$1800 for the stereo upgrade from the boat builder. The only pieces of equipment I salvaged from that original stereo system was the Sony CD Changer and wired remote. The rest went in the Recycler for $300 I believe.
    Definitely try having the stereo put in after the boat is built. Most boat builders are just that, not professional stereo installers. Even if they "sub" it out to someone else, you still pay the boat builder's mark-up.
    Contact ROZ from the boards for questions and equipment prices.

riverbound
    Definitely use an outside shop if you are looking for the biggest bang for the buck. The boat manufacturers do throw quite a bit of mark up on stereo upgrades.

Keith E. Sayre
    For what it's worth, we at Conquest have our systems done by
    Car Toyz here in Havasu. We let you buy the system directly from
    them and you pay them. They do outstanding work, don't rip you
    off and take care of you if there is a problem. I would recommend
    them. If you're having a boat built in Havasu they'll cut the holes
    while the manf. is cutting the holes and run the wires at the
    appropriate time also, then finish it right before the boat is finished, then they'll come over and teach the customer how to use it etc.
    Give them a call at 928-680-0203, I trust them and they'll take
    good care of you.
    Keith Sayre
    Conquest Boats
    Lake Havasu City

RUCAV
    Ultra uses an outside company to do their stereo work and started out with a price of $2500 for the stereo upgrade. They dropped it to $1800 when I told them it was to high. I spoke with the installer and asked him to list the components and all the installation products. I took that list to the guy who does my stereo work and had him look at it. Without skipping a beat he told me he would do it all for $1000. Hardware and installation. If your interested in talking with them its called BOW DOWN AUTOSOUND in costa mesa. Head guys name is Malike. Also, they were going to use Viper speakers. I went to 5 different stereo shops and they said Viper makes good alarms, not good speakers.
    Also, after talking to several people, I bought the XM satelite for my house, boat and truck. Tons of channels and you get service in Havasu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast