Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HP3 VORTEC 8100 WHAT??(> or = to Merc motors?)

Tab
    Wadup with these Vortec motors they are running in the APBA????

Dr. Eagle
    I read an article about these engines in Poker Runs America magazine sometime back. The HP3 is a high performance version of the 496 that are on the order of 500 or 525 horses as I recall.(?) I don't remember the specifics... I think the HP1 and HP2 are the 385 and 425 HP versions used by Mercury.
    They were designed by GM as marine engines and I don't remember if they had any design assistance from Mercury, but I think not. I do remember comments that this being a product of the GM production engine group, they were competing directly with Mercury's high performance group, builders of the HP500, 525, etc.

Tab
    That seems to be the case.....What's the word re reliability? Cost vs Merc's? It would be nice to get a reliable motor along those hp lines without having to pay Merc's high prices..

Havasu Hangin'
    Merc was buying their motors from GM.
    GM decides to market thier Vortec motors themselves and compete with Mercury Racing (pissed off Mercury).
    APBA decides to allow GM Vortec motors in Factory Racing, as an alternative to Mercury (pissed off Mercury who had the exclusive rights).
    Mercury pulls it's APBA sponsorship.

Dr. Eagle
    It seems that they did a deal with APBA and made it an engine with similar approval to run alongside the HP500. I don't know if they are waiting for data from racing to validate the longevity of the engines or what, but I have not seen them being marketed as of yet.

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    Merc was buying their motors from GM.
    GM decides to market thier Vortec motors themselves and compete with Mercury Racing (pissed off Mercury).
    APBA decides to allow GM Vortec motors in Factory Racing, as an alternative to Mercury (pissed off Mercury who had the exclusive rights).
    Mercury pulls it's APBA sponsorship.
    And blamed their poor relationship on Michael Alweiss...
    And honestly, I think Mercury could use a good slap....they are the Microsoft of the Marine industry...
    good products, but a swager second to none...

HammerDown
    Good topic as I was about to ask the same question.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
    ...but I have not seen them being marketed as of yet.
    I'm sure you could buy one if you really wanted...all you need is a drive package.
    Minor detail.
    I think Mercury better start looking over it's shoulder...if the big three decide to get back in the marine business, (Viper 12's?), look out.

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    I'm sure you could buy one if you really wanted...all you need is a drive package.
    Minor detail.
    I think Mercury better start looking over it's shoulder...if the big three decide to get back in the marine business, (Viper 12's?), look out.
    Yep HH, I am absolutely sure you are right...they could be had somewhere... GM Performance or GM directly.
    What I was saying was simply that I haven't noticed them being marketed while casually perusing my ususal media sources...HB, Powerboat, Poker Runs, Extreme Boats America, etc.

Oh we all know that there have been alternative engines to Merc for a long time, but not on the production scale as from Chevrolet or GM. I for one am glad to see it!!!!!!!!!!
    Of course what the Nazis at Merc will probably do is lower their engine prices and raise their drive prices.....
    Sure wouldn't surprise me......

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
    Oh we all know that there have been alternative engines to Merc for a long time, but not on the production scale as from Chevrolet or GM.
    Agreed.
    I really like how Phaff and IMCO teamed up to show that there are superior "non-Merc" products out there for less money.
    I was disappointed to see Volvo give up it's High-Performance business. Not because they were superior to Merc (they were), but because it gave Mercury Racing some competition with the builders.
    If the GM marketing and production machines got spooled up with some builders...the Merc stranglehold may actually be loosened again. I'd say the consumer wins in that battle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast