Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Favre Play Football Tomight?

Very tradgically Brett Favre's fatther died last nite of a sudden heart attack. Favre has decided to play tonight against the oakland faiders. The game has playoff ramifications for the Packers. Knowing that Favre's father was his high school coach and loved football should Brett play tonight?
    There are powerful arguements on both sides of the question. Many people I know are saying out of honor for his Dad and because of the overwhelming responsibility he has to the further livly hoods of the entire Packer organization..he absolutely has to play. After all the entire years effort could be at jeopardy if he does not play.
    On the other hand...his beloved father just died! i know its an important game but come on would any of you go to work less than 20 hours after your father died. I run my own business with nillions of dollars at stake every month. But when my father died three years ago I dropped what I was doing to be with my mother and my brothers to help them with the mourning process and assist in the immeadiate arrangement of my fathers services. I felt I had to be there Screw work it never entered my mind to worry more about my money than my mother and what she needed. After all I had lost my dad but she had just lost the love of her life ...a man she had been married to for 53 years!! She was now all alone in life now she felt! I had my wife to comfort me, my Mom needed me.
    But I can see the how important Favre's commitment to his team is. I also know some will say "yeah nut it is what his Dad would want". But is what Brett's family needs is for him to be playing football and providing entertainment fo the Monday nite football crowd? And shouldn't he make a bigger statement about his fathers life and death than "I gotta play for the team"...does the team have the right to expect Brett to play?
    Well I don't know the answer but I wish him and his family a better Christmas than they are going to have this year.
    What do you think? he is definitely going to start tonight!

NastyOne
    Good question but I would have to say that I think he knows his father a little better than anyone else, and knows what his father would have wanted him to do. Whatever he does... I am sure he will make the right choice.

Caribbean Jet
    All people deal with Tragedy in different ways. If this is his way of honoring his father than I think that he should play tonight. It also shows what kind of leader he is. I respect him for playing tonight, I don't think that I could play after losing my father the day before so more power to him. May his father be watching over him tonight.

bear down
    I think he should play...I need 8 point to win my fantasy league and he is my QB....J/K.....If he feels that playing is a sense of healing and rememberance then he has the power to decide. He has a big responsibility to 2 families....The Pucker family...Millions of fans world wide and his team (if he does not play they are done) and his family needs him to give support. It may like an easy decision but not for an athlete who gets paid millions to win!.

Kilrtoy
    he should play,
    he will probably play his heart out....

rvrtoy
    The coach should make the decision. He should play whom ever gives his team the best chance to win. After all the playoffs are on the line.

Ziggy
    No, his coach shouldn't decide and Kilr is right, he will probably play his heart out. Strangly, I was thinking about this earlier today and wondering if I was in his position how well can he concentrate on his job? Or maybe it will actually make it easier to deal with if working? Will he be thinking of his dad while in huddle? These and other ??? passed thru my head. Either way its gonna be difficult I'd imagine but I know for myself if I've had a bad incident that working often takes the mind off of a tragic event instead of wallowing in dispair.

CA Stu
    He should play.
    Sucks about his father passing on, but it'll happen to all of us one day...
    I'd hate to be playing against the guy tonight, he'll be emotionally fired up and have the whole world behind him.
    Just my .02
    CA Stu

JetBoatRich
    I had the same conversations a couple times the last 24 hours. Today is very difficult decision, I say play. Not much you can do today, fly home after the game and be home with the family. His ability to play well, could have a major impact on the Packers and their season.

JetBoatRich
    Go GreenBay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast