Thread: When I put it in reverse it dies??

davidwarren
    Can anybody give me some advice. My good buddy has a 95 Chapparral 21ft I/O. When he puts it in reverse the motor dies. He can start it in neutral but it continues to die when he puts it in reverse. I am not a I/O guy and can't advise him.

RiverDave2
    There's a engine "cut out" switch when going in between gears to briefly kill the spark to the engine for easier engagement. There maybe something wrong with that or possibly the idle is to low..
    RD

SoggyJet
    DW
    I assume your friend has a Mercruiser. Like River Dave said, it is most likely the momentary kill switch. This is a common problem and in fresh water boats happens because the shift cable (drive to intermediate plate) is out of adjustment. If this is the case, most I/O shops can adjust in very little time.
    In a salt water boat it could be caused by the shift cable adjustment, but can also be caused because of salt/corrosion build up in the shift shoe at the drive end of the cable. In this case the best fix is to replace the shift shoe.
    Hope this helps. Doug

davidwarren
    River Dave and Soggy Jet, thanks for the advice, we are taking your advice and having the cable adjusted. Have a good one.
    Dave

1BIGJIM
    This is a very simple problem. One of two things. No one I assume this is an Alfa drive? The most likely cause of this problem is the SHIFT cable is not moving freely. Or the momentary kill switch is out of adjustment. If you watch the switch that is mounted on the starboard side on the exhaust riser you can see the little wheel move. It must be centered. You can test the switch moving it with your finger. This is used to take the torque off the drive so it can come out of gear. Good luck.
    [This message has been edited by 1BIGJIM (edited October 11, 2001).]