Thread: Couple of Bravo 1 questions??

Akamatsu
    I have a couple of questions about a Bravo I Drive, hoping someone can help me out.
    1. I have a bad Trim sensor(name?). This would be the one opposite the trim limit sensor. My guage shows trim adjust to about 1/2 way, then pegs down. It is not graceful by any means(jumps around alot). I am looking to fix this, and would like to know the best place to obtain a new one, and possibly a part # or exact name?? Also how much work is going to be involved. It looks like it may just require a solder connection and heatshrink tubing, but I have also heard it is a single wire that must be run all the way to the guage?
    2. I have a very slight leak on my trim rams. Fluid is full, not dripping on the floor or anything, just see slight traces right at the seals on occasion. Is it possible to rebuild these myself? Should I remove them and have them rebuilt? Is there anything I should know before removing them?
    3. I am very interested in getting a service manual for the Bravo I. Can anyone recommend any? Do you recommend going straight for Mercruiser Server manual? Any other vendors that make them like Hanes, Clymer, Chilton, etc, that you would recommend? Does anyone put out an electronic version?
    I am interested in doing as much as I can myself, but there is a limit. If it requires some light to moderate wrenching, then I am all over it. Over the weekend I replaced my impeller, a service shop wanted 3 hours of labor, ended up doing it myself in under an hour. However, I don't have the desire to get in over my head. Thanks for any help and replies.
    Akamatsu

TCHB
    I would order the trim sensor from a local dealer. It is pretty easy to install one and adjust.

wsm9808
    check on Ebay, I have seen several factory Bravo service manuals on there for resonable prices. Seloc has a pretty good manual too, but it is more general. I have both the factory manual and the Seloc and get info from both. You can never have too much information.

Akamatsu
    As far as adjustment, I already tried to adjust my current one, so adjustment is definately an easy thing to do, unfortunately adjustment is only doing so much, as it pegs just after halfway, and is really jumpy. I adjusted it as best it could be used, but the motion is just not there anymore. Can anyone recommend a good local dealer here in SoCal? Easiest for me to get to during the day would be near/in Marina Del Rey, but anywhere between MDR and La Verne may be possible. Any internet companies you guys recommend that may have a bit more competitive prices? What should I be looking to spend for the sensor? Thanks.
    As far as the Service manual, I was looking on E-bay and It would appear that is it Manual #11 that covers the Bravo I drives?? Do I need to be careful on the print date? Have there been changes over the years? My drive should be a 96 Bravo I, the service manuals I saw were printed in 87 and 89, should I keep looking?
    Thanks again for any help.
    Akamatsu

1BIGJIM
    The sending units come as a kit from Mercruiser. They run around $80 for both. They come with the wire loom that goes through the transcom. You must remove the bell housing to get to the one nut that holds the wire backing plate. You can not just change the sensors. I guess you could if you cut the wires. Often the wires are corroded. On your rams you might want to have a dealer rebuild them. Remember when it springs a leak and you lose pressure, will not be able to go forward. (nothing to old outdrive down) I learned the hard way when a hose broke. Good luck!

Akamatsu
    I am finally gonna have a chance to work on it tomorrow. Anyone have a SoCal shop that they suggest I go for the Trim Sender and possibly to get the rams re-packed? Thanks.
    Akamatsu

bordsmnj
    quality performance (909-735-5503)in corona or johns custom marine(714-827-7920) in stanton(by knotts bery farm)I'd call them both and get a ball park figure and go from there.just my.02 hope this helps.oh,GS Marine i think is also in corona and believe also has a good rep but i don't have the number

blown daytona
    When I got my boat a few years ago, I contacted the local Mercruiser dealer, gave them my engine & drive serial numbers, and they had manuals for me within a week.(those books are priceless) wink

paradigm shift
    Yep I agree buy the books. This site could help.
    http://www.mercruiserparts.com/
    Good luck with your project and happy boating.
    BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand. wink

Akamatsu
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Everything is complete. Ended up buying the sensor kit and replacing both sensors(Trim Sender and Trim Limit). I bought the Seloc Manual. Overall it is OK, but not real informative on key points. The trim rams are no longer showing any signs of leakage. I have talked to a couple shops and come to the conclusion that the seals were starting to dry from sitting. Using them caused the seals to moisten back up and they are now functioning properly with no visible fluid on the seals. I will check this very regularly, as I do not want to blow a seal, but everything does appear normal now.
    Akamatsu