Thread: Header size

HEAVYBOAT
    IÂ’m buying a header kit from hooker (not to be confused with A Hooker) to make some new headers for my new combo and I'm looking for some opinions on the primary size. Last yr my headers were some terrible 2-inch primaries that took an immediate 80-degree bend right after the port.
    The motor is a BB 547ci roots blown with 172cc ex port volume and they will flow 310 cfm on ex. Right now I am tossed between 2 3\8 and 2.5 primaryÂ’s. I am shooting for 1100+ hp.
    This topic may open a can of worms on whether or not a blown engine still requires some amount of "backpressure". I think we all have heard with a blown engine that backpressure isnÂ’t really needed, but I remember reading a article one time about some testing on a forced engine and finding that that some amount of Backpressure still helped hp in a blown combo because of assisting in scavenging the exhaust out of the port.
    Maybe its not backpressure were looking forÂ…. its port velocity for scavenging? Any opinions? Infoegomanic, youÂ’ve been quiet lately... whatÂ’s your opinion on my hookers? :wink:

Infomaniac
    I think a blown engine of that size should have 2.5 primaries. The length of the primaries is where the most technical part should come in.
    Size and length of the collector also. RPM's being a big factor.
    Zoomies for blown alcohol. Gas is different.
    I will dig through my tech theory stuff and see what I can find.

Infomaniac
    The ego thing was pretty clever.
    I guess it takes one to know one.
    Would not want to be known as DoesnotshareInfomaniac
    Here is enough reading to keep any snowed in Canadian busy for quite a while. If you can successfully hack into the root directory for all of the articles.
    Very smart guys tech link (http://www.victorylibrary.com/mopar/header-tech-c.htm)

Fiat48
    Info likes Hookers. Why he was just asking for a phone number for one on the other thread.

HEAVYBOAT
    I forgot to add, I will be using mufflers.
    Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. (right after I get home from church )

Infomaniac
    I think the article says it is most important to not have any restriction after the collector.

Fastnuf
    Try
    Header Design (http://www.headerdesign.com )