Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is this normal

GlastronGuy
    Originally posted by Wet Dream
    Now thats some funny shit.
    I think what you are describing is normal. Without knowing your pump condition, the pump "cavitates" on a launch which gives you the feeling of a slipping clutch. As the pump becomes loaded it gains effectiveness and moves water. The boat then accelerates and "hooks up".
    It's "normal" for a pump to cavitate on launch? Mine hooks up immediately.

BrendellaJet
    mine used to hook up right away
    The boat will tach very high out of the hole. If you aren't on plane real quick(3-5 seconds?) I would say you need to have the pump looked at...

cheech
    we took the pump out and you can spin the impeller shaft very easy( two fingers,and it free spins) . the edges of impeller are blunt but no chunks out of edge.we have another pump for another i am doing a motor for an his is real tight, some effort to turn. this one is just re-done. can i measure the drag with a inch pound torque wrench. and what should it read.

Wet Dream
    Originally posted by GlastronGuy
    It's "normal" for a pump to cavitate on launch? Mine hooks up immediately.
    Ok, normal for a pump that's well worn. I guess I should have stated that its normal for a worn out pump to react that way.
    A "tight" pump (we all like them tight ) can launch the bow of the boat skyward with a blip of the throttle, trim induced.

Hallett19
    out of the hole with nobody on-board my boat hits max rpm from a dead stop with my foot on it (4700) in a matter of seconds with very little to no "catch up". But when I am loaded down, it will hit 5300 rpms from take off and play "catch up" till it settles back at 4700.

Originally posted by cheech
    we took the pump out and you can spin the impeller shaft very easy( two fingers,and it free spins) ....we have another pump for another i am doing a motor for an his is real tight, some effort to turn. this one is just re-done. can i measure the drag with a inch pound torque wrench. and what should it read.
    The most likely difference between these two pumps is the drag from the shaft packing. It's purpose is to keep the water on the outside of the boat, not leaking in past the shaft. You could probably compare it to the difference in drag on a pinion shaft when measured with and without the pinion seal.
    The shaft packing is adjustable by way of the two nuts just behind the thrust bearing at the front of the pump. That old pump has probably not been adjusted during it's life. As loose as you say it is, there is a very good chance that air is being sucked past the packing and into the pump, causing a drop in performance. There is no drag measurement that I know of. Generally they are set to allow one drop of water in the space of a minute or so while running. This allows for cooling/lubrication of the shaft/packing interface.
    When we refer to a "tight" pump, we are talking about the wear ring-to-impeller clearances. At no time should these items contact each other, so tighter clearances do not increase drag.

malcolm
    The only time my pump cavitates is when it sucks up a small piece of wood and it gets stuck on my (too sharp) impeller blade. That piece of wood going around sure messes up the flow. My pump only spins to 4600, but it hits 5000 quick when this happens. The last time it did it, I had to beach and pull the inspection cover to get it out.

cheech
    thankx so normal ware and tear is most likely the issue. he is going to have it gone though, and i will get on with building the motor the way he wan'ts to go. it appears the only way to get on the write track quicker and cheaper is asking you guy's. thankx again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12