Thread: this fucking blazer

Terrible Buddhist
    ok...a few more questions:
    1) it apears I barely have any threads left in the center of my crank shaft, which is making mounting the harmonic balancer tough...and alas I have resorted to the hammer and 2x4
    How can I repair the threads?
    2) I am going to a Tuned Port type system from my carburated system...which means new detent cable and throttle cable...any idea which ones I should get?

BubbleJet
    HELI COIL!
    I used it when I rebuilt my 454 last summer. Get a new bolt also. Check prices. It might be cheaper to drill and retap.
    What kind of Blazer do you have. I just bought a 1987 V10(K5) for a $1,000. Guess what? Another project.

Terrible Buddhist
    its an 85 K5...383 Stroker, 33.5 tires and 373 gears (not a great combo on the tires/ gears) I had a carb setup but the engine was not living up to its potential...so I got the fuel injection.

BGMAN203
    go the heli coil way, it will be better than drilling and trying to tap a new thread.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
    Could you put a longer bolt to get unuesd treads??? I hear you on the gear thing. I have 83 chevy sb with 35" tires and a 3:08 gear with a 700r4. If ever need to go 200 mph i will be set.

BrendellaJet
    Originally posted by Terrible Buddhist
    its an 85 K5...383 Stroker, 33.5 tires and 373 gears (not a great combo on the tires/ gears) I had a carb setup but the engine was not living up to its potential...so I got the fuel injection. Be careful with the EFI. What size motor did it come off of? Often times its a nightmare getting the bugs worked out, and is very pricey because you need to have the computer tweeked with the right air/fuel tables...

Terrible Buddhist
    its a system called the 'FIRST' system...the thing is a MONSTER! it is kind of like the big mouth setup from TPIS...the computer running it is electromotive....should be a cool setup if it ever gets done.

MANIC MECHANIC
    If you do Helicoil it make sure you Locktite the Helicoil in place.
    Give the Locktite time to set and clean the excess Locktite out of the Helicoil threads before farther assy.
    If you were to go to the next size bolt it may be neccesary to drill a larger hole in the harmonic bal.
    Tim

DUCKY
    On the crank, I would drill and tap for 1/2-20. You have the room, so use it, and BBC's are 1/2-20. Now then, the reason it stripped is because someone tried to pull the balancer into place with the bolt. The threads will not take that since you are only grabbing 1-2 threads at first. Believe it or not, GM recommends setting the balancer in place with a brass, or dead blow hammer (just make sure you don't hit the outer ring. Remember the first SBC's and Corvair's that didn't have a balancer bolt?), or a balancer install kit from Comp Cams, Summit Racing, etc.... The trick is, if you are going to beat the balancer into place, is to support the other side of the crank so as not to damage the thrust surfaces. And I feel your pain on the gear combo. I have an '83 K-5 with a 305, 35" tires, and 3.08 gears! It does okay as long as you keep it above 90!