Thread: Digital Tach

TexasJet
    Does anyone have a digital tach in their boat? I saw one for sale in a Eddie Marine catalog. It says it's accurate to within 1 (one) RPM. The current tach in my boat has started reading about 1000 RPM high, above what used to be 3000 RPM. At WOT the tach pegs at 6000 and I know my motor isn't turning anywhere close to that. I have a Comp 9000 distributor and a MSD box. Are digital tachs hooked up the same as regular tachs? Has anyone else ever had a tach start to missread similar to mine?

HOSS
    Sunlight will be a problem with viewing them.

hoolign
    Only in daylight hours

BADBLOWN572
    I have been in a boat with a digital tach, the problem is with acceleration you can not read the #'s as fast as they are climbing. The #'s become a blur. Atleast with the gauge you can read approx where the needle is pointing. Not so with digital. Cruising they are nice, but that is not when you need the tach. At high speeds, forget about it! You are moving so fast that you don't have the time to look down and read four or five #'s to find out how fast your engine is spinning. On the needle tach, look see a 5 or a 6 and you know approx where you are at. It is not an exact science, but it is close enough.