Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Dennis Moore

HP350SC
    Whats your thoughts on the thread about starters in the Blower Motors column?

Dennis Moore
    I've used those high performance aftermarket starters and don't see any advantage to them. The stock GM gear reduction starter never fails unless it gets wet and rusts. I don't like the fact that the end of the aftermarket starters shafts are not supported by a bearing/bushing like the GM starter. What's up with that?
    USCG approved doesn't mean that the Coast Guard tests starters to see if they are explosion proof. The Coast Guard doesn't have any testing facilities. A starter remanufacturer can send a starter to United Laboratories and have it UL certified to be explosion proof but very few do it because of the cost.
    The decal installed on starters simply states that the starter meets the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standards and when the Coast Guard boards your boat for inspection they may try and view the starter (if the starter is accessable) to find the SAE decal.
    The new style GM gear reduction starter is the same for the automotive and the marine industry. When you are a marine mechanic you are constantly inspecting starters for water damage. I've compared gear reduction style automotive and marine starters on many occasions and there is no difference between them. I've also talked to many starter rebuilders and they also say there is no difference. There is a big difference between the older direct drive automotive and marine starters however.
    Sincerely
    Dennis Moore

HP350SC
    Thanks for the information Dennis. I have been boarded by the Coast Guard once, all they were worried about is if we had drugs or weapons (of course we didn't). They also checked fire extinguisher gauge. Didn't even open engine hatch, but gave me a junk CD for a "signalling device". They were courteous nonetheless. Also I have had two insurance claims since 1988 and never have they tried to find something wrong with my boats to be able to deny damages.

schiada96
    The new GM starter works well for me. It says marine right on it
    metal stamped on the case.
    SAE J1171
    PN 9000821 U28JL99A

Sleek26
    Originally posted by Dennis Moore
    I've used those high performance aftermarket starters and don't see any advantage to them. The stock GM gear reduction starter never fails unless it gets wet and rusts. I don't like the fact that the end of the aftermarket starters shafts are not supported by a bearing/bushing like the GM starter. What's up with that?
    USCG approved doesn't mean that the Coast Guard tests starters to see if they are explosion proof. The Coast Guard doesn't have any testing facilities. A starter remanufacturer can send a starter to United Laboratories and have it UL certified to be explosion proof but very few do it because of the cost.
    The decal installed on starters simply states that the starter meets the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standards and when the Coast Guard boards your boat for inspection they may try and view the starter (if the starter is accessable) to find the SAE decal.
    The new style GM gear reduction starter is the same for the automotive and the marine industry. When you are a marine mechanic you are constantly inspecting starters for water damage. I've compared gear reduction style automotive and marine starters on many occasions and there is no difference between them. I've also talked to many starter rebuilders and they also say there is no difference. There is a big difference between the older direct drive automotive and marine starters however.
    Sincerely
    Dennis Moore
    Dennis, Is this a dealer only part? If not what year and model of BBC starter would you ask for at your local parts store??

Hustler
    Originally posted by Sleek26
    Dennis, Is this a dealer only part? If not what year and model of BBC starter would you ask for at your local parts store??
    call this guy, he has the chevy ones in stock and is alot cheaper than any dealer or auto parts store.
    RB Performance
    521 W. 11th St.
    Parker, AZ 85344
    520 669 5738

Dave C
    I have had that starter on my last two motors. It works good.

HOSS
    I own a Chevy gear reduction starter. I bought it for my Monza. It is advertised as the solenoid placement as 360 degrees. well thats bullshit. It can be mounted in only 2 positions. I couldn`t use it in either because of the Super Comp hedders. I have since only run McCleod starters. They kick ass.
    The difference in gear reduction units is weight and bulk. Plus solenoid rotation.

superdave013
    Originally posted by Dennis Moore
    I don't like the fact that the end of the aftermarket starters shafts are not supported by a bearing/bushing like the GM starter. What's up with that?
    I agree with ya on that one. But just noticed this in the other thread and thought it looked like a nice mod for that style of starter.
    http://www.bulitpruf.com/bp1starter.jpg

Dennis Moore
    Now that looks like a hell of a good aftermarket starter!
    Dennis Moore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast