Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydros vs flats

Blown 472
    Since I am sucking up, I have more questions. I see hydros dont have cav plates, do they take a set or what?? is there any adjustment you make while moving?? and what is the diff in ride? is one more squirrly then another?

BGMAN203
    THEY ARE 2 DIFFERENT BEASTS. YOU ALMOST CAN'T COMPARE THE 2.

P-Money
    We have one of each and I've found the hydro a lot "easier" to drive. While its a sh*tload faster than the flat, it is easier to control (as long as your riding on good water). I agree with BGMAN 203, 2 totally different experiences.

SERIOUS ISSUES
    the big differance is the hydro is designed to blow the tail out of the water and ride on its sponsons. you have little or no controle of the boat once you stand on the gas (point and shoot).
    the flat bottoms have a cave plate to adjust the attitude of the boat, give you more controle and keep you in the water when you stab the gas.

Fiat48
    The hydro also sits very low in the water and is easier swamped. As mentioned, you point it and it kinda goes that direction. Nothing for the left foot to do but less room for driver error which generally makes them more consistant. Definately more top speed. My opinion is that they are safer and more forgiving at speed.

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    The hydro also sits very low in the water and is easier swamped. As mentioned, you point it and it kinda goes that direction. Nothing for the left foot to do but less room for driver error which generally makes them more consistant. Definately more top speed. My opinion is that they are safer and more forgiving at speed.
    Can anything be done about the swamping dealio?? one of those plexiglass shields??

78Eliminator
    Blown, what do you want out of the boat? I mean, I went through this before deciding to buy one or the other. But it's a known fact, if you are shooting for top end speed, a hydro is for you. It's also safer at speed. I "think" the flats come out of the hole harder. When I went to Lake Ming, both were scary fast looking, but the hydros damn near looked like they never stopped accelerating.
    I know, the flat guys give you the "training wheel" jabs, but when it comes to all out speed, the hydro is the boat to have. I think that a flat might be a little bit more fun to drive cause it takes skill to man one, but if you just want to point and go real fast, the hydro is the way to go. Mind you, this is all heresay, but I have listened a lot and asked lots of questions and this seems to be the word on the street.....

Fiat48
    Yes, the shields help. The Sangers that I know have to watch low speeds as water tries to wash in over the back, Maybe not all the hydros are that way. I only rode in one once. Didn't like it but it was o.k.

Thats the Word, point & shoot!

Blown 472
    Originally posted by 78Eliminator
    Blown, what do you want out of the boat? I mean, I went through this before deciding to buy one or the other. But it's a known fact, if you are shooting for top end speed, a hydro is for you. It's also safer at speed. I "think" the flats come out of the hole harder. When I went to Lake Ming, both were scary fast looking, but the hydros damn near looked like they never stopped accelerating.
    I know, the flat guys give you the "training wheel" jabs, but when it comes to all out speed, the hydro is the boat to have. I think that a flat might be a little bit more fun to drive cause it takes skill to man one, but if you just want to point and go real fast, the hydro is the way to go. Mind you, this is all heresay, but I have listened a lot and asked lots of questions and this seems to be the word on the street.....
    I am looking for a lake hot rod, something that wont be in rough water that will haul ass, not looking to do any skiing or anything like that behind it. After reading about the flats they seem like alot of work and are touchy to set up (probably wrong??) I guess I am looking for something to drag race on the water so maybe the point and shoot dealio aint so bad.
    Like I said before, I know jack shit about either of these boats that is why I am asking. Btw, thanks to all for their input.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast