Thread: Trim problems

HAVASUKID
    ok, I have a mercruiser 7.4, 1998, this weekend in havasu I was headed into Disneyland with my drive up parked for an hour and started driving back, my drive would not go up or down, I checked the fluid it was low. I filled it up. my trim will go up but not down off my throttle control but I have a swith hooked up to the transom which worked both up and down.. ok heres the biggie. when I throttle past ten miles an hour my throttle control trim switch will work both up and down. when I slow down or stop my trim switch at the throttle will go up but not down,, any ideas...

JAM
    I'm no expert in this area, but if I'm hearing you right it sounds like you've isolated the problem to the trim switch or wire lead(s)at the throttle.

HAVASUKID
    I would think so, but it works when I accelerate..

Just Tool'n
    Maybe there is a short to ground or a pinched wire in the handle, hence when you move it forward it goes back to normal.
    Stranger things have happened, I had a ploblem on a GM van, when tilt wheel was down would not operate turn signals. When up worked fine.
    Had mech tear apart the column, and low & behold smashed wires!

TCHB
    It sounds like you may have low voltage and the trim will not operate. I have seen this with loose battery cables.

HAVASUKID
    thats funny, I just put in a new battery that weekend i/ll check it out thanks for the help guys.