Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.3 mph gain from setup

There's no way I can't post up about this deal. I know the naysayers are gonna be all over it and I'll probably catch some crap but this is the god's honest truth.
    After speaking with Duane Oblander on the phone as well as sending some emails with pictures and short video clips of my boat running, he recommended the longest of the Snoots with a 4 degree pin offset and sent it out. The first test I set it up with a 3 degree up wedge and ended up bettering my non-nitrous top speed by 2.4 mph.
    At this time Duane and I were sending 3-4 emails back and forth per day discussing different setup options etc. to improve on an already good thing. He fedex'ed me a set of wedges 4, 1.5, and 1 degree wedge so I would have them for the next trip out. I installed 5.5 degrees of wedge and took it out today 01-01-04 and ran 80 mph!
    That's a 6.3 mph increase by doing nothing more than switching from a PD droop to the Hi-Tech Snoot and doing some setup work.
    That's so cool, I'm gonna say it again.....
    That's a 6.3 mph increase by doing nothing more than switching from a PD droop to the Hi-Tech Snoot and doing some setup work.
    With the nitrous I should be running close to 87 mph.
    Duane is the consummate professional and was great to work with. Many thanks
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/gpsII.jpg

Jake W
    Dan that is bitchen.Post up some pics of your boat with the snoot on it.
    That is alot of up wedge what did you have the rideplate at?
    Jake

This should read.....................how to tune your ride by phone/email. Here's a couple photos that we sent back and forth in order to figure out the setup and associated angles etc. Not too scientific I reckon, but it worked.
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/5.5_degrees.jpg
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/5.5_degrees_cr.jpg

Doug H.
    Very cool news and illustration Squirtcha, glad to see big improvements on your rig.

Jet City
    Thats surprising, great gain for so little changed, nicely done Duane. The fact that you were out in your boat today indicates to me that I'm living in the wrong state!

565edge
    That is a great improvement.So the point of lowering the thrust point to give lift isnt important with this?Or is it so long that it ends up being as low as a droop with better flow?Duane has some good products.I got hos jetaway this past year and it sure helped me from getting thrown out after a 110mph shutdown.Let us know when you use the nos.

flat broke
    Congratulations Dan!!!
    That's one hell of a way to ring in a happy new year. You know I'm genuinely happy you got that kind of increase by working with your setup, but I have to ask, did air temp play into the equation? Were the RPMs that you got the new speed at, the same as the RPM your previous high speed was set at. Either way its a bitchen increase and it looks like the bar will set just a little bit higher for being considered fast this summer. Remember to keep it safe.
    Chris

likwidsukr
    Originally posted by Squirtcha?
    This should read.....................how to tune your ride by phone/email. Here's a couple photos that we sent back and forth in order to figure out the setup and associated angles etc. Not too scientific I reckon, but it worked.
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/5.5_degrees.jpg
    http://jetboat.homestead.com/5.5_degrees_cr.jpg
    So Dan did you get that for your B-day? Did you sell the other droop yet? I think it would get my boat out and on the water faster with more mph!!

Chris,
    I ran the 73.7 mph with the old setup two weeks ago with temps/humidity and water conditions almost identical.
    I'm sure that when we hit our typical 100+ degree days, it'll taper off some, but I wouldn't think more than a mph or two. RPMs were up from 5300 to 5400.
    That's an excellent question and one that I've pondered too. Is it the drop or just extending it backwards?
    Jet City,
    Yeah, it's definitely one of the cool things about living in AZ. Year round boating is great. I wouldn't want to swim or ski but it's fine for getting out and taking a cruise or testing stuff.
    Likwid,
    Nope still got my PD droop. I will need to sell it in order to help pay for my birthday present. Unfortunately, it seems nobody can give you a definitive answer on this setup stuff (even the guys that've been doing it for years). It'd be especially tough with your boat since there are so few of them out there.
    Doug H,
    Thank you

Duane HTP
    565, There is no lowering of the thrust line with the Snoot set up unless one is installed with down wedge, and they usually don't like that. It actually raises the thrust line in a lot of cases. On the faster boats we use the original Snoot which is exactly the same length, (lever arm), as a droop. On boats like Scuirtcha's, sometimes they like the extra lever arm, but the 4 degree up steering pin axis is a must to get the boat off of the water without putting so much down pressure on the tail of the boat like a droop does. As a person adds more HP and goes faster and faster, a lot of the time you have to go to the Snoot with the zero degree pin axis.
    Squirtcha, Glad to hear the good news. I enjoyed working with you. Duane HTP

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast