Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 6.3 mph gain from setup

bp
    Originally posted by Ken F
    Chet,
    The back-cut shoe probably wouldn't do much good below 80 anyway, so he has gone about it in the right way.
    Ken F
    o really... and you base this conclusion on what?

Ken F
    BP-
    Guess I was just thinking as I typed on that one. ...don't really have a basis for that statment, just an opinion I suppose.
    It seems to me that as heavy as the boat is, that until you reach about 80, it probably wouldn't do much good.
    I may be wrong, what is your opinion?
    (obviously different) I'd be interested in hearing what you think.
    Ken F

I've been gone all day and haven't had a chance to look in here. May I say, I'm very impressed with the posts and some good points have been raised. I'd first like to say that I'm extremely pleased with the product and service provided by Duane and I have no regrets regarding the direction I've chose to take.
    The first point that jumps out at me is the phrase "bandaid". In my mind that term implies that it's something temporary and I'd say that is not the case here. The only way it'll get undone, is if I take it off, which I'm not about to do.
    I'm no expert (obviously) but I'm trying to think about this thing analytically. It seems that there is no one thing that does it all. Just setting back a pump and adding a shoe and rideplate probably won't result in the maximum speed that a boat is capable of (this one I know first hand). Just adding a droop (or snoot) for that matter won't be the "big fix". The proper impeller for your max horsepower at a certain rpm won't do it either (tried that one too) although it's a biggie. Rather all these things combined, and properly set up is what will get you to your goals.
    It'll be interesting to see what my next step will do for me (tapered backcut shoe). In my case, I can still benefit from getting yet more boat out of the water and I'm anxious to see what happens.
    Let me ask ya's this.....................anybody.................. do you think
    there's more in the old girl yet? I'm betting the price of a shoe.............. that there is.
    Good job on the posts guys. We all have opinions and that's just a fact of life. I think this thread proves that those opinions can be voiced without hostility, and still give some food for thought.

Ken F
    Dan,
    You put it a lot more elloquently than I could have, but I agree that it is a great discussion!
    I'll bet that you have some more in "the ol girl". It's just a matter of doing some tweeking now!
    Ken

disco_charger
    It's funny, because I've been waiting for someone to answer my question, and watching this. No one ever answered my question, however everyone has been banging on the same principal that applies to all jet boats. You can throw all the horsepower you want at a jet boat, but if you don't set it up right, it means nothing. I would suspect that most of us understand that every different bottom requires something different. One off billet stuff ain't cheap. People deserve to be paid for the things that sometimes take years to develop. I see no wrong doing here by either Chet or Mike . Chet makes some good points, Mike makes good points, but perhaps there are different routes to go to the same place?
    Does this Snoot reduce down more than a droop? Did you notice any difference when the boat came out of the hole? Thanks!

Sorry disco. I saw your thread and must've got distracted. I actually went out to the garage and did an outside measurement of the droop and snoot when I saw your first post. I know it has little bearing on the inside dimensions but I have no way to accurately measure that. They appear to be pretty close. To answer your question, I saw no perceptible loss with regards to my holeshot. One of my flattie driving buddies (who's getting a little nervous about now) said he thought it came out of the hole a little harder than it used to.
    That's kinda hard to tell from shore and will probably have to wait til we line up against each other again.
    Ready Wild Bill?

bp
    Originally posted by Ken F
    BP-
    Guess I was just thinking as I typed on that one. ...don't really have a basis for that statment, just an opinion I suppose.
    It seems to me that as heavy as the boat is, that until you reach about 80, it probably wouldn't do much good.
    I may be wrong, what is your opinion?
    (obviously different) I'd be interested in hearing what you think.
    Ken F
    without going into great detail of what i have or what i have tried, and what the results were, the bottom line is that the keel will have more lift with a backcut shoe at any speed (planed) than it would with a flat shoe.
    as far as heavy, my hull weighs in excess of 680lbs stripped of everything but the steering wheel. there are significant differences in et with this thing when going from a flat to a backcut shoe.

Ken F
    BP, okay I agree on the fact that a backcut shoe will lift the keel. That is their purpose, but it still seems to me that a BCShoe would have a much more pronounced effect on a lighter tunnel hull going say 100mph., than it would on a heavier V-bottom running 70. It's not a very big pad (or surface area) pushing up on a fairly heavy boat. My thinking was, that until you got the V-bottom out of the water, and moving pretty good on it's transom & rideplate, that it wouldn't be hardly noticable.
    I could be wrong here, and would appreciate your thoughts.
    Ken F

Duane HTP
    The Snoot is not smaller than the droop on the squeeze down. It is .090" larger. The Snoot has helped the hole shot for all of the boats so far that have been on the clocks.
    Unchained, you put the Snoot to the test on the clocks. What is your opinion?
    Roger, you put the Snoot to the test on the clocks. What's your opinion?
    Dan Simmerly, you put the Snoot to the test on the clocks, what's your opinion?
    I would appreciate any answers. Thanks!

Cas
    Originally posted by bp
    without going into great detail of what i have or what i have tried, and what the results were, the bottom line is that the keel will have more lift with a backcut shoe at any speed (planed) than it would with a flat shoe.
    as far as heavy, my hull weighs in excess of 680lbs stripped of everything but the steering wheel. there are significant differences in et with this thing when going from a flat to a backcut shoe.
    Bob,
    You say you have a heavy hull but what is the weight to power ratio? I'm kind of leaning with Ken on this based only on a practical application thought process. From what I understand, Kachina's are a pretty heavy hull plus there's a lot of stuff attached that a raceboat won't have. On top of that, there is less hp and probably less stroking of the pump not taking into consideration totally different hull types.
    Maybe one of the pro's can give an opinion based on experience with numerous types of hulls?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast