Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diesels

LASERRAY
    I know that this debate is older then mankind itself and I know that everyone has their favorites but why do you feel that the Powerstroke is better then the Cummings, or the DuraMax better then the Cummings, or Ford better then Dodge etc. I'm looking for a compelling argument between all three, and am interested in seeing which diesel maker has the majority here. I'll be in the market for a new diesel tow rig this comeing spring and i'll take these opinions into cosideration. Power, Room, Payload, Towing Capacity, Reliabiilty, Warranty all all factors so your thoughts are more then welcome, and sorry for the redundant argument, but I haven't seen a poll or thread on the big three diesels in a while. Thanks..

riverbound
    I own a powerstroke 7.3, I used to have a cummins but it was too noisy and too slow. I also like the quality of build in the fords better than tho others chavy does have a better tranny (allison)

UnionJack
    Dodge... no room or power
    Ford... Good room, good power, solid axle nice, interior needs work
    Chevy... Good room, good power, IFS, bad for offroad, interior great
    Now I have a 2004 duramax, and the only thing that swayed me was the interior, and the chevy is the nicest

CA Stu
    My 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ theCummins is plenty powerful (thanks to Banks Engineering), and the interior of my truck is plush. Leather, heated , power seats. The fit and finish is fine, and it has a lot of room (In the front seats, but that's the only place I ride)..
    If you need seating for more than 3 big adults, you may be happier with a real 4 door tow rig.
    I also have to be honest, I fell my trans is about to take a big wet shit in my face. Of course, that is my fault, I'm hammering it with way more power than it was designed for.
    I reckon you can't go wrong with any of them, except the new 6.0 Powerstroke is having some teething problems.
    I originally bought a Dodge in 1996 because they were holding their value at the time way better than the rest of the truck market. I liked it and decided to stick with the brand. I plan on running Dodge trucks as my tow rig from here on in.
    The one time I had a real race with a Powerstroke, I walked away from it.
    Thanks
    CA Stu
    PS I'd rather be Cummin' than Strokin'

HEATHEN
    I work for GM.The thought never even crossed my mind to buy anything else.My truck is loaded except for the tv option.A buddy of mine (ford guy) went hunting with me in it.He is on the fence over what to buy now.My choice was easy,I did not have a choice.

Jordy
    I've been a Chevy guy forever, growing up in a Ford family no less. I'm sold on the Duramax and I'm kinda partial to the tranny as I work for the Allison dealer. We're also the Detroit Diesel dealer (now owned by Dahlmer Chrysler) so they tend to frown on Fords, couldn't say much about Dodge. Chevy it is.

STV_Keith
    Assuming we are talking about current year models:
    Ford 7.3l Powerstroke - now being phased out. Stock, makes ~210hp/420ft-lbs, comes with 3.73 gear w/optional 4.10. Modifications can take the motor into the 275rwhp/550ft-lbs range for <$2k, but full potential is only 350-400rwhp. Fuel mileage around 14-16mpg around town, longevity of 150k or so before injectors start going south. 300-400k for motor. Full size 4-dr cab has more interior room than the other 2. Last of the noisy diesels.
    Ford 6.0l Powerstroke - the new motor. Stock, makes ~310rwhp/490ft-lbs. Upgrades can get that to 400hp, but EGT's are high. Reliability yet to be seen. Fuel mileage a little better than the 7.3, but still behind the Dmax and Cummins. Quieter than the 7.3, but new programming doesn't use the pilot injection, which makes it noisier than it could be. Already announced it's replacement of a 6.4l in 2005 or 2006.
    Duramax - Seems to be proving it's reliability. 3 years out now and they are not dropping. The first year models had a few issues, but have been overcome it seems. ~240hp/440ft-lbs stock. Mods take it to 350-375hp/750ft-lbs pretty easily. The next step is injectors, which will bump it another 75hp/150ft-lbs, but then the trans gives up. Upgrades for the Allison are now available as well. Mileage typically around 16-17mpg.
    Cummins - The quietest stock of all the quiet diesels now. Reliability unquestioned. Motor has been around for a long time, with the new models even beefier than the past. 1 million mile units are out there. Power ~280hp/495tq stock, with upgrades to go beyond 500rwhp/1100ft-lbs. New mods upcoming to go beyond 600-650hp/1300ft-lbs as daily driver. Stock mpg around 17-19mph. Better with mods.
    Personally, having worked on them all, I would own a Cummins first, then a Dmax, then the Fords. Personal preference in the end is what does it for you.

LASERRAY
    Originally posted by STV_Keith
    Assuming we are talking about current year models:
    Ford 7.3l Powerstroke - now being phased out. Stock, makes ~210hp/420ft-lbs, comes with 3.73 gear w/optional 4.10. Modifications can take the motor into the 275rwhp/550ft-lbs range for <$2k, but full potential is only 350-400rwhp. Fuel mileage around 14-16mpg around town, longevity of 150k or so before injectors start going south. 300-400k for motor. Full size 4-dr cab has more interior room than the other 2. Last of the noisy diesels.
    Ford 6.0l Powerstroke - the new motor. Stock, makes ~310rwhp/490ft-lbs. Upgrades can get that to 400hp, but EGT's are high. Reliability yet to be seen. Fuel mileage a little better than the 7.3, but still behind the Dmax and Cummins. Quieter than the 7.3, but new programming doesn't use the pilot injection, which makes it noisier than it could be. Already announced it's replacement of a 6.4l in 2005 or 2006.
    Duramax - Seems to be proving it's reliability. 3 years out now and they are not dropping. The first year models had a few issues, but have been overcome it seems. ~240hp/440ft-lbs stock. Mods take it to 350-375hp/750ft-lbs pretty easily. The next step is injectors, which will bump it another 75hp/150ft-lbs, but then the trans gives up. Upgrades for the Allison are now available as well. Mileage typically around 16-17mpg.
    Cummins - The quietest stock of all the quiet diesels now. Reliability unquestioned. Motor has been around for a long time, with the new models even beefier than the past. 1 million mile units are out there. Power ~280hp/495tq stock, with upgrades to go beyond 500rwhp/1100ft-lbs. New mods upcoming to go beyond 600-650hp/1300ft-lbs as daily driver. Stock mpg around 17-19mph. Better with mods.
    Personally, having worked on them all, I would own a Cummins first, then a Dmax, then the Fords. Personal preference in the end is what does it for you. Thanks Alot Keith. That was extremely helpful. You are a very knowledgeable individual and I thank you for taking the time to reply as such.

DogHouse
    Gonna have to agree with Keith on this one!
    I've never much liked Dodges, but really wanted the HO Cummins diesel, so I took a good look at the new Ram and ended up buying one. Who knew they made nice trucks too?
    The only thing I like better about the GM or Ford is that they have a real crew cab. The quad cab Dodge is small for adults in back. My kids are young so they fit just fine. I like the way the interior and controls are designed. The lights turn on when I turn the switch, not when big brother GM decides they should go on. The a/c is simple and just works, unlike the last auto system I had from GM where the damn thing was always trying to outsmart me and usually didn't work right. I like things simple so the Dodge fits me. I also like the way the suspension and chassis is designed. Most components seem to be tucked up high, out of the way for good off road clearance. The front end is solid axle, easy to lift, but has enough locating links so that it steers well. Stock it sits high enough to easily clear 33" tires on 9" rims (what I run). Even the 315/70/17 BFGs will fit, but look better if the truck is lifted a couple of inches. 34 gallon tank in the short bed gives excellent range with the diesel. So far in the first 4k miles, I've run into zero issues. That puts it way ahead of the last GM truck I owned, which already had been to the shop a couple of times by this point. Time will tell, but this truck, powertrane, and warranty give me a lot more confidence than the GM ever did.
    -brian

Havasu Cig
    You list the Duramax as having 240 hp and the Powerstroke at 310 hp (6.0).
    I realize this is probably hp at the crank, but our Duramax is rated at at 300 hp, and our 6.0 Powerstroke is rated at 330.
    How can the 6.0 only lose 20 hp from the crank to the rear wheels, and the Duramax lose 60 hp???

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast