Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need your input

Thunderbutt
    I think I have finnaly found someone here (LOTO) to work on my motor. This motor hasn't been looked at for 12 + years,so I think it is time. I want to r&r the motor, replace the bearings,seals,oil pump, rings and check everything else crank, pistons, cam and so on. What should this cost for the labor and parts that I know to be replaced, not including the unknown items. And what did I forget to replace? Thanks

Infomaniac
    Didn't want to make the short trip to Oklahoma huh?
    An engine that old should need new cam, lifters and springs.
    Routine items: Rings, bearings, gaskets, oil pump, timing set, valve job
    Do not know items: bore size (new pistons), crank size (grind), valves, valves guides, rockers, pushrods,
    Machine work: cam bearings, hot tank, freeze plugs, deck block or heads, resize rods, aline hone.
    No way to tell until you get it apart.
    Do not cut any corners, not worth it.
    $$$ ???

Thunderbutt
    Thanks Info, I would bring it to you, except you are a little to for away. I've had the heads off last year so I think they are ok but I will have every thing checked. What do you normaly charge for an r&r like this,not including the parts? By the way how far are you from LOTO.

Infomaniac
    Went to the shootout this past year. Cannot remeber exactly how far. 6 or 8 hours?
    I charge 1,200.00 to professionally freshen up an engine.
    Do not like teardowns but cannot always build brand new stuff.
    Sorry, that is just for the engine work. I tend to avoid the R&R part. Maybe some day I will get a shop big enough to handle that part of the business.

Thunderbutt
    Thanks again Info, If I every buy a new motor, your the Guy

Keith E. Sayre
    It seems to me that a rebuild, not counting R & R around here is
    more like $3,000 to $4,000. Maybe we're not talking about the
    same quality of parts? Or is it just more expensive out here?
    $1,200 sounds like a great deal to me.
    Keith Sayre
    Conquest Boats
    Lake Havasu City

Infomaniac
    $1,200 is the labor. Checking every clearance, degree cam, Setting up the valve springs personally. Plus a few magic dust speed secrets. No different to a stock engine.
    Machine work is extremely reasonable around here. Good work also.
    I use only the best parts.
    No problem on a freshen up to be under 3k. A good ways under for a basic freshen up like listed below. Even if a new flat tappet cam and lifters are needed.
    Rings, bearings, gaskets, oil pump, timing set, valve job, hone cyls, cam bearings, hot tank, freeze plugs, valve springs locks and seals.

mirvin
    Thunderbutt, does this mean THunderbutt is no longer for sale? Just curious. BTW, TB is pinned up to my little boat shrine here in my office The picture from the ROostwear writeup.

Thunderbutt
    Originally posted by mirvin
    Thunderbutt, does this mean THunderbutt is no longer for sale? Just curious. BTW, TB is pinned up to my little boat shrine here in my office The picture from the ROostwear writeup.
    mirvin,
    Your right, I can't sell the Butt,. my kids would kill me. They grew up on that boat. So I'm going to have the motor check out, and save the boat for the grand kids. I still want to buy a hi-performance deckboat, then my wife will kill me. Info is right it will cost me $1200 just to pull it down and put back togeather + parts. If I was closer to him I'd sure have him do it.

I WOULD MAKE THE DRIVE TO HAVE INFO WORK ON YOUR MOTOR
    YOU WOULD BE GLAD YOU DID.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast