Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: set back pump!

youngster
    were can i get all of the info that i would need to complete this project myself?
    pics would be nice too!
    thanks

youngster
    its sunday and the weather is perfect for sweating....so...i am asuming that nobody knows , or wants to help a brutha out?
    Is the cut out in the hull aprox. 8'' wide therefore the bolts that go through the intake are set in the hull as well as the epoxy?
    ive heard that people cut the intake out right along the intake...that does not make sense considering that you would essentially be cutting your mounting falnge away! am i on the right path here?
    oh and the reason for the removal is when i removed the oil from the bottom of the hull (oil leaks) i noticed that where i had painted the well area,...around the intake had been cracking pretty bad! so i crawled under the hull and noticed that there was some oil (from the oil leak problem) seeping out of the cracks!
    and i was toying with the idea of a set back this season anyway!
    sorry for the runnon sentances!
    todd

Jake W
    Toddnuzz your new name Fs me up .How far are you going to go (break out of the hull or just as far as you can go)?there is not much to setting it back.Cut it out with a sawzal or 4 inch grinder with a thin cutting blade.I glassed mine back in (the front of the intake hole that will be open when you set it back) some people use a pice of alum and rebolt it in the holes and them use Sea going apox that you use to set the intake and fill it in.First you need to figure how much you want to go back.
    Jake

Jake W
    OK you are talking take it out.Some people say heat it up with a torch then put a jack under neath it and a 2 by 4 and lift the boat up by the intake in till it comes loose .But you can all so grind it out on the sidesinside the hull (just the puddy) not the glass and do not grind the intake .Do this untill you can pop it out.
    Jake

BrendellaJet
    Todd-remove the intake before making the cut
    Sounds like the epoxy in yours may be losing some of its bond b/c of that seaping oil. I used a jack on mine to get it to pop out. Unfortunately, the boat was gutted and the intake was all that was left in when I did it-so when I raised my jack it lifted the boat off the trailer. To compensate, I took a piece of 4x6 wood and layed it perpendicular to the stringers(across them) right above the intake. Then, I took a piece of 2x6 and jammed it between the a large truss in my garage, and the 4x6. The sound the epoxy makes when breaking out of the boat is scary. I though I was killing the boat-but someone had told me it would make some awful noise, so I worked on it slowly until it popped out.
    If you are going to use the boat as a lake boat, I would suggest that you do not cut through the transom. You want to make sure the intake mounts the same way it did before, only moved back further, in other words, the intake needs to have epoxy on all 4 sides of the flange, instead of just 3 sides if you were to cut through the transom like the racers do. MAKE SURE YOU MEASURE AND KNOW FOR SURE THAT THE CUT YOU ARE MAKING IS CORRECT. I JUST ABOUT HAD MINE CUT ALL THE WAY BACK BEFORE I STOPPED AND MEASURED_IF I HAD NOT DONE THAT, I WOULD HAVE BEEN SCREWED.
    Measure the mounting flange, and leave atleast that much of the bottom intact. Depending on the shape of the intake, you may need to trim your transom hole(for the pump) a little lower, and do some grinding tothe inside of the transom to accomodate the intake. I dont have a berk pump, so Im not familiar with the shape, however, Jack did machine my intake for a "max set-back option" which gave me an extra 3/4 inch. Ill try to post pics a little lateer, I have lots.

youngster
    as for the toddnjuzz/youngster thing, that is annoying, im sorry but HB is helping me out as much as he can!
    the pump is a berk 12jg and is machined already! as for the epoxy comming loose...i have chipped out all of it...just up against the mounting flange came up pretty easily (inside), until i tried to extract the hdwr from the intake (through the hull) i will have to post some pics when the wife gets back from "ALBERTSONS", i plan to take a turdload of pics this week on this thing so if i cant explaine...you'll see what im talking about!
    todd

HOSS
    Pulled my motor last night youngster. Glad you started this thread. I`m doing the same thing. My leaked a little bit ogf oil too.

youngster
    well ive got some pics now im going to upload them.

youngster
    well in the first photo, i first noticed that the fiberglass was cracked behind the intakeand had oil coming through!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...04_004-med.jpg
    then...i noticed that is was dripping down the intake fin!!(oh shit!!)
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...04_006-med.jpg
    so i started to lookaround and chip away at the epoxy, to see where it is seepind through, and fig. ta hell with it...its time to do the set back!!!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...04_001-med.jpg
    so i start pulling the hdwr out of the intake (what a bitch this is!) an asked myself......self? who are you going to get these out?http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...04_002-med.jpg
    so now ive gotta rely on you guys or call jack or maybe even listen to what "CHET" thinks on how far back i can go? in the next pic you can see that i have just up to 2'' that i can move it back, until im into the transom! what do you think?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...04_003-med.jpg
    as for the word "transom" this is one more of the things that i get to fix too!! wooohooo goodie!!!
    is this a trait of the rogers hulls , because ive seen it before?
    sorry for the space take-up! toddnjuzz

youngster

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast