Thread: I need a SBC cam suggestion

Damon
    I have a 20 foot Arriva with the 350 Mercruiser, which I am doing a little freshening to over the winter. I'm installing the GM iron highrise, and rebuilding the stock Qjet. I will probably swap to vortec heads next winter, but that's out for now (but I would like to choose a cam grind that will run well with the vortec heads in 2005)
    -I don't mind a rough idle.
    -I'm running a Houston Prop 24"P Accelerator prop.
    -I would like to get the peak HP at or around 5200-5300.
    -I need a FLAT cam. I don't want to spend the money on a roller set-up right now.
    -I'm going to be using a geardrive (I know, I know... But I like the sound of the quiet ones....)
    I hope somebody can suggest a cam that will open this engine up a bit. Anyone?

Havasu Hangin'
    What year? What kind of drive and exhaust?

quiet riot
    I've used edlebrock's performer rpm cam/intake (or cam specs close too them) in a few sbf's between 9-10:1 comp ratio and had good luck. They seem to idle very well at 700 rpm and build the peak power right at 5k rpm. It worked well in a couple cars and my boat that made over 400hp at 5k rpm with 10:1 comp and iron 2.02 int heads. I think their cam had around .500 overall lift and 230 dura @.050. I used center riser exhaust which should be similar to the merc stuff except I have thru transom instead of prop exhaust. Should be a outdrive friendly setup for shifting and even hold up on an alpha type drive if you don't hammer it a lot out of the hole. Not sure what cam lift is compatible with the stock valvetrain of yours (I'm a little chevy ignorant.)
    jd
    ps. not sure if yours is fuel injected, that would prob be consideration that someone with fi upgrades exper would have to answer.

Damon
    Whoops, sorry I forgot about that. The exhaust is through-transom dual 4" - the engine is a 1990.
    I am sure that a 262 is about the most extreme I should consider with stock heads, my biggest concern is getting the revs. I know that the hp and the max rpm are related, but some cams generate their peak power at higher rpm ranges then others. How much of this is a function of the manifold, and how much the cam I do not know.

RACER52
    i've got a like new cam & lifter set from an engine i used. they came out of a 1999 350 mag. they are hydrolic rollers and matching cam. The engine had a 4 barrel on it. I will look into the specs of the cam. I know that year engine had the vortec heads. Might work for you. Pulled the set out at 60hrs. p/m me if interested
    racer

Fiat48
    If you can tell me the compression ratio, I can run it through my cam design program and see what it comes up with.

Damon
    It's the stock comp. ratio - I think 8.7:1 or something real close to that. I spoke to Dennis Moore earlier today and he suggested the Comp Cams XE-256H. That should get me right up to 5200 rpm, and give me a good increase in power with a decent idle.
    Just to reiterate what everyone already knows- Dennis Moore is a super nice guy. We talked about my project and he gave me good advice without hurrying me to buy stuff, in fact he talked me out of spending some money! You can just tell that the guy knows what he's talking about. I am buying a set of his new aluminum manifolds in a couple weeks. I can't recommend him high enough.