Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I A F***ing Idiot????????

riverby5
    Check it out!
    I go see a 1998 Ultra Custom LX. Its a berk jet with a 454/340hp motor. The boat is clean except that it is obviously dirty. No big deal I say. I'm no stranger to elbow grease. It has a big scratch in the gel coat(probably from the bimini) on the side of the boat and the valve cover gaskets are just a little bit wet with oil.....It starts on command and everything is functional. The trailer is clean...a little rust from being left outside but clean...The boat has approximately 154 hours....I offer 2k less than what he is asking for the boat. In previous conversations he says its a negotiable price...he shoots back with the original price...I walk
    Oh by the way, the NADA lists the boat at my first offer. He says its worth every penny. Am I A F**king Idiot

sanger rat
    If the deal didn't feel right to you then no you are not a idiot. Keep looking.

Wet Dream
    Nah. You done good. Hopefully you gave him your number just in case he changes his mind.

Wicked Performance Boats
    [QUOTE]he says its a negotiable price [QUOTE] Some times when sellers say that, it just means they may give a little[not 2,000]. Sometimes a low ball offer just pisses the seller off. It's a game for buyer and seller. But I do know that I hate it when somebody tries to lowball me. Look at it on the brighter side, maybe a nicer boat at a better price will come along and you'll be glad you waited! Everything happens for a reason. Budlight :rollside:

mares98
    Check it out!
    I go see a 1998 Ultra Custom LX. Its a berk jet with a 454/340hp motor. The boat is clean except that it is obviously dirty. No big deal I say. I'm no stranger to elbow grease. It has a big scratch in the gel coat(probably from the bimini) on the side of the boat and the valve cover gaskets are just a little bit wet with oil.....It starts on command and everything is functional. The trailer is clean...a little rust from being left outside but clean...The boat has approximately 154 hours....I offer 2k less than what he is asking for the boat. In previous conversations he says its a negotiable price...he shoots back with the original price...I walk
    Oh by the way, the NADA lists the boat at my first offer. He says its worth every penny. Am I A F**king Idiot
    Speaking hypothetically, Lets say seller is asking $25.000 You offer 22.500. No I personally don't think this would be an offensive offer within 10% is usually reasonable. Just my opinion

riverby5
    what if the boat is not even in close resemblance of the pics...and i drove 2 hours to see the damn thing that was labeled as immaculate and clean and it was not exactly as described....he was asking 24k.....i came in at 21k...he even conceded that the nada on this boat was 20k....what gives...i just dont want to come off as cocky or arrogant from alow ball offer...i have justifications on why i gave the offer....i just dont show my cards too early.

jbone
    If I like the ______ I ussually point out a couple of faults and ask what the lowest he'll let it go for right now.
    If they give a good price take it. If not, then give an offer a little lower than you think they will take. That will ussually get a decent counter offer, then take it. Be careful not to go too low or you will insult them.
    And sometimes the seller won't budge. If you like it, get it.
    Buying a car or boat from someone kinda feels like a challenge. The seller tries to get the most he can and the buyer tries to knock the price down.
    If you like the boat, call him back and offer him 1,000 off his price. If he says no, and you really like it, suck up the pride and buy it. If you could pass on it, give him your number in case it doesn't sell.
    Good luck,
    J

Wicked Performance Boats
    If I like the ______ I ussually point out a couple of faults and ask what the lowest he'll let it go for right now.
    If they give a good price take it. If not, then give an offer a little lower than you think they will take. That will ussually get a decent counter offer, then take it. Be careful not to go too low or you will insult them.
    And sometimes the seller won't budge. If you like it, get it.
    Buying a car or boat from someone kinda feels like a challenge. The seller tries to get the most he can and the buyer tries to knock the price down.
    If you like the boat, call him back and offer him 1,000 off his price. If he says no, and you really like it, suck up the pride and buy it. If you could pass on it, give him your number in case it doesn't sell.
    Good luck,
    J
    Now that sounds like somebody I'd like to deal with! Not a tirekicker or somebody try to beat you up when your down and got to sell your boat. Budlight

TahitiVC
    I went through the same thing when I was looking, although I wasn't going to spend as much. Made a 100 mile trip with the wife and kids to look at this guys boat he says is perfect. Then another 45 miles to the river where he and his kids are going to play. I wan't to take it for a test drive before offering him anything. He stops a the local store and buys a 12 pack and we are off. I test run the boat for about 30 minutes and offer him 4800 for a 5K boat and he gets pissed and drops me off at the dock. I give him my name and number and tell him to call me when he changes his mind over 200 dollars. He never does and ends up posting the boat on craigs list three more times. Don't know if he ever sold it don't really care. The best part is while waiting in the boat for him with his kids they tell me dad really needs to sell the boat to get enough money to finish the remodel on the house. Screw that guy he could keep it for all I care. You did the right thing. Something better will come along it did for me.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Did you at least make sure you helped him kill the 12 pack? I would, unless it was MGD. BL :argue:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast