Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Essex Sterling 21 Vs. Hallett 21 SS

COBRA98
    I have a few questions regarding which is a better boat? i am in the market for a 21 Ft Open Bow custom boat that will be equipped with the the new Merc 496 with 375 H.P and a Bravo one. I have narrowed my choice down to either a 21 Sterling by Essex or a 21 SS by Hallett. Both manufactures claim that with that power plant the boat should hit 75 Mph, which I know just is not true.
    What kind of performance should I expect, and what do you feel are the pro's and cons of each boat? Suggestions on Option equipment as well?

Essex_Sterling
    I've got a 2000 21 Essex Sterling with a 350 mag/bravo 3 drive and I've gotten it to 60+ before at WOT.
    For what's it's worth, I have been EXTREMELY pleased with Essex, both the sales side and the Service side! Ron and Steve have a great company and make great boats.
    When I talked with Hallett, or at least tried to, at the LA Boat Show this past February, the sales guy just blew me off.
    [This message has been edited by Essex_Sterling (edited December 12, 2000).]

superdave013
    They are both nice boats, very nice. But if your looking at the high end boats have you looked at the 21' Schiada. I have one with a v-drive but they make them with merc i/o's too. If I won the looto today all I would do is buy gas. That's how much I like it. Not bagging on the others, just very happy with what I have.

COBRA98
    Originally posted by Essex_Sterling:
    I've got a 2000 21 Essex Sterling with a 350 mag/bravo 3 drive and I've gotten it to 60+ before at WOT.
    For what's it's worth, I have been EXTREMELY pleased with Essex, both the sales side and the Service side! Ron and Steve have a great company and make great boats.
    When I talked with Hallett, or at least tried to, at the LA Boat Show this past February, the sales guy just blew me off.
    [This message has been edited by Essex_Sterling (edited December 12, 2000).]
    Thank you for your feedback Essex_Sterling, I too, didnt get that warm fuzzy from the Hallet guy. That Eliminator looks pretty good too. Do you know of any Sterling owners that have big blocks? I like to water ski, and I am almost as large as an NFL Defensive Lineman ( 6'5" 270) so I am not sure if a SB will pull hard enough :-(
    How was your experience during the sales process, and how long did they take to deliver your boat?

Essex_Sterling
    Originally posted by COBRA98:
    Thank you for your feedback Essex_Sterling, I too, didnt get that warm fuzzy from the Hallet guy. That Eliminator looks pretty good too. Do you know of any Sterling owners that have big blocks? I like to water ski, and I am almost as large as an NFL Defensive Lineman ( 6'5" 270) so I am not sure if a SB will pull hard enough :-(
    How was your experience during the sales process, and how long did they take to deliver your boat?
    I'm sure that there are plenty of Essex owners that have the 454 or 502, unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally. Sorry.
    My experience with Essex was GREAT from the very beginning and the entire staff, from the top on down is very friendly and more than helpful!
    There was never any high pressured sales push. They told me what they offered and what options I could get. They never tried to steer me towards anything that I didn't want, or necessarily need.
    Another great thing about Essex that I found in my research, conducted over a year, is that all of the typical options are standard. Dual batteris, no problem, another manufacturer wanted an extra $400. Pop-up cleats, 4 standard, another wanted an extra $75 per!
    The only options added to our boat, aside from the engine and drive upgrade, are an automatic fire extinghuisher system and a digital depth gausge. Those two alone save us 10% on insurance.
    As far as delivery, they said 8 weeks and it was 8 weeks. Also, as soon as it came out of the mold, we were allowed to go and see it whenever we wanted and see what the progress was. We have pictures of our boat being built which is kind of cool!
    If you want, send me an e-mail and I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. Incidentally, this is the first boat my dad and I have owned and we absolutely love it!

COBRA98
    I'm sure that there are plenty of Essex owners that have the 454 or 502, unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally. Sorry.
    My experience with Essex was GREAT from the very beginning and the entire staff, from the top on down is very friendly and more than helpful!
    There was never any high pressured sales push. They told me what they offered and what options I could get. They never tried to steer me towards anything that I didn't want, or necessarily need.
    Another great thing about Essex that I found in my research, conducted over a year, is that all of the typical options are standard. Dual batteris, no problem, another manufacturer wanted an extra $400. Pop-up cleats, 4 standard, another wanted an extra $75 per!
    The only options added to our boat, aside from the engine and drive upgrade, are an automatic fire extinghuisher system and a digital depth gausge. Those two alone save us 10% on insurance.
    As far as delivery, they said 8 weeks and it was 8 weeks. Also, as soon as it came out of the mold, we were allowed to go and see it whenever we wanted and see what the progress was. We have pictures of our boat being built which is kind of cool!
    If you want, send me an e-mail and I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. Incidentally, this is the first boat my dad and I have owned and we absolutely love it!
    Thank you for the input. Sounds like the experience that I want. This too will be my first boat, and I have been sniffing around since early last year after I have tired of riding lake lice.
    The other question I has to do with negotiating the pricing. Did they behave more like a car dealer ( or Eliminator for that matter) that has a rediculous "price" with a lot of room to negotiate or did they take a straight forward approach?
    Also..Sterling_Essex What is your Email?
    Cheers!!

Essex_Sterling
    Originally posted by COBRA98:
    Thank you for the input. Sounds like the experience that I want. This too will be my first boat, and I have been sniffing around since early last year after I have tired of riding lake lice.
    The other question I has to do with negotiating the pricing. Did they behave more like a car dealer ( or Eliminator for that matter) that has a rediculous "price" with a lot of room to negotiate or did they take a straight forward approach?
    Also..Sterling_Essex What is your Email?
    Cheers!!
    My e-mail is s_ernst@pacbell.net

COBRA98
    My e-mail is s_ernst@pacbell.net
    hI eSSEX,
    I just dropped you a note about the final details of your purchasing process. I am also in the San Gabriel valley..

GhettoBird
    Take a look at the Shockwave 21' Step Skier....beautifully built boat...They are out of Lake Elsinore

Fricky
    Cobra98,
    I believe that Essex can provide you with a big block engine. On the Essex web site at www.essexboats.com (http://www.essexboats.com) they have a photo album of boat owners. One day I browsed through all the boat owners and I believe that I saw a 21 sterling with a big block. I remember they took a picture of the engine with the engine cover up.
    I think that the only thing you loose on the big block is handling and performance. The 21 essex with a 350 bravo 3 should pull you out of the water fine. You may want to call Essex about that but my opinion is that you would be fine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast