Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Put'n on a little weight

al cole'holic
    Hello All- I have a 28' Cole that came with one group 24 battery. The ride was great, out of the hole was actually good and the speed was ok with me. But...I have just finished with the stereo and ended up with 6, yes six group 29 batteries that weigh 65 pounds a piece. Of course, the almost 400 pounds are to say the least noticeable. I am running the Merc 502 EFI with a Bravo and a 22 pitch prop. Now of course I am looking to get the power I once had back, and to lighten some of the weight elsewhere. My first thought is the stock manifolds...Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by al cole'holic:
    I have just finished with the stereo and ended up with 6, yes six group 29 batteries that weigh 65 pounds a piece...
    Six 29 batteries??? Man, that's alot of lead. How much stereo do you have? How many alternators? I know of some competition systems that run 4,000 watts with two Optima yellow tops and one 150 amp alternator. What's your RMS power total?
    I saved about a hundred pounds by switching to aluminum heads, intake, and exhaust manifolds on my mouse motor.
    http://www.websitemonster.com/images/pimp.gif
    [This message has been edited by Havasu Hangin' (edited July 18, 2001).]

al cole'holic
    HaHa..Whats up "Havi" I am pushing over 3000 watts and 9 speakers, but that is not the only thing I was after. I want to visit your bridge and let all of you listen and feel my system for as long as you will be there for! This set up will last over the weekend at a pounding volume while beached at London Bridge, no worries. I was told that changing the manifolds would free about 80 pounds alone, I don't know how true that is...thanx!! By the way how is the alternator, stock?? I am just about to have mine rewound to a 170 amp..good or bad??

Havasu Hangin'
    I am pushing over 3000 watts and 9 speakers,...This set up will last over the weekend at a pounding volume while beached at London Bridge, no worries.
    Man, that's alot of batteries for one alternator. 170 is nice- be sure it's a marine unit. However, that poor alternator will still be overworked, as each added battery is more load. You might want to consider two alternators for six batteries.
    I have around 2,300 watts RMS (2-12s) in my boat, and I'm only running three group 24 batteries (two for the stereo), with an isolator. I usually don't kill them, but I also throw a charger on overnight if they get low.
    I know it's probably too late, but three yellow tops (quality vs quantity) would go a long way with that system. Maybe a portable generator or a long extension cord to your hotel room? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy06.gif
    I was told that changing the manifolds would free about 80 pounds alone, I don't know how true that is.
    Yep, those manifolds are very heavy. However, the aluminum (EMI Thunder, etc.) are expensive. You probably could shave a couple hundred pounds in heads and manifolds, but you're lookin' at a few grand. Cheaper to go with 3 $160 Optima yellow tops, the 170 amp alternator, and start the engine once in awhile to charge 'em up?
    http://www.websitemonster.com/images/pimp.gif

al, its all about how you rig the boat.average guy is about 220#'s and a havasu hottie about 110#'s.you do the math

rivercrazy
    Wow. Thats some serious stereo power. I'm only running about 500 RMS watts and its seriously loud.
    Weight wise wouldn't it be neat if someone came up with freeze dried beer? Hey just add water. That would save most of us serious poundage. Either that or be more selective on the girls you choose to take with you at the docks. haha
    Seriously though, you might consider reducing the number of batteries. Test it with less. You will probably find your system doesn't need that many. I doubt you run you stereo at more than 50% output anyway.

rivercrazy
    I could be wrong here but I though I read somewhere that every time you double the AMP watts in a stereo, you only gain a few decibles of sound. Is this right?

al cole'holic
    When I first had the system completed I used four group 27 batteries. This was good for about 4-6 hours of serious thumping with the boat sitting on a beach. Not too bad, until the power got so low that the amps tried to compensate for the loss of volts by pushing out twice as much power in turn getting so hot the solder from every board came off inside the amp housings. After working with Precision Power and getting Interstate battery company involved, all parties agreed on the resulting switch. Check the stats, the yellow tops do not compare to the power of the Interstate 29's. The have twice as much reserve than any other battery, even the huge diesel ones (and we did consider it). I also forgot to mention that I have every one isolated at my fingertips, nice added touch! I control which ones are used, or getting charged etc..usually only 2 at a time at the most which is alternator friendly. Just in case you may be interested in the info, water does ripple around the hull...hahahaha...rivercrazy...freeze dried beer...love that one! As far as the 'havasu hotties' you need to subtract the weight of the clothing that comes off when they feel this system...c ya

25 Outlaw 502
    hull...hahahaha...rivercrazy...freeze dried beer...love that one! As far as the 'havasu hotties' you need to subtract the weight of the clothing that comes off when they feel this system...c ya
    I live in Florida and was wondering where that bass from the west was coming from. Keep rockin' and by the way freeze dried beer tastes like sh_t when mixed with salt water.

Havasu Hangin'
    Yeah, Optimas are only good for around 65 amp-hours apiece. You're right on when the amps starve for power, they get hot- I thought those PPI amps went into thermal shutdown? I put cooling fans on mine, as the Havasu heat wears on those amps. http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...s/scared02.gif
    You probably added some significant weight in magnets and amps, as well? Anyway, you could make the manifold switches and save some weight. Could you go with a smaller fuel tank, since you're just going from the ramp to the channel? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy07.gif
    I think a portable generator weighs less than 400 pounds? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy34.gif

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast