Thread: Wow, no exhaust bellows=800rpm increase

TahitiSteve
    Just helped my buddy replace the transom plate bellows on his ChrisCraft 25ft cabin cruiser (350 powered). We couldn't locate an exhaust bellows installer tool, and were having a hell of a time getting it on without the tool and finally just decided to leave it out.
    Before the swap the boat was a real dog, took it forever to plane out, and it topped out at 4000rpm's. Without the exhaust bellows it's moving damn good and tops out at a solid 4800 rpm's.
    Just thought I'd pass on the information, and also ask if there are any problems with not using a transom plate exhaust bellows, aside from a little extra noise?

DansBlown73Nordic
    The boat will sink with out it... eek! jawdrop

drbones
    If you are refering to the bellow from from outside transom outlet to the drive...if it is a mercruiser...it should not hurt a thing..but be louder...I have mine cut just so it is a little louder...but only louder on plane

Snorider
    Dans66Stevens:
    The boat will sink with out it... eek! jawdrop You are thinking of the shift bellows. Those are the ones which will sink a boat. A torn exhaust boot wont hurt anything.

drbones
    we see aleast 2 boats every year ..that have sank because of bellows...
    only the shaft and shift bellows will cause it to sink...exhaust bellows are only there to route the exhaust out the drive
    you will be ok with the exhaust bellow not connected to drive...it will just be a littel louder