Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What ever happend to the boat manufacturer "TAHITI" ?

Back To Havasu
    It is my recollection that Tahiti and Carribean were independent boat builders in the 60s and 70s in Southern California, but as their star flickered, Hardin Oldsmobile in Anaheim, California, through its subsidiary, Hardin Marine, acquired these, and other selected molds, including the legendary Spectra 20 mold. They then marketed the products under various original and/or new and/or combination of original names, until they too went out of business.

Tahiti Day Cruiser
    Hey Back To Havasu ,
    You hit the nail right on the head. After seeing an old magazine add with a scheamtic drawing of the Spectra 20' I could not believe my eyes. I have a 1982 21' Tahiti (powered by an outdrive which I guess is pretty rare for Tahiti's) which looks almost identical to the Spectra 20'. I compared the diagram too my boat and besides the overall size of the boat and a few accesories that had been added to the Tahiti. It looks like the same boat. Anybody know if the Tahiti name was used with any of the Spectra molds that Hardin marine made. Or better yet does anyone know a good website with specific info about the Spectra 20' molds. I really would like to know for sure if I have one of those Spectra disguised as a Tahiti. Anyhow thanks for all the positive input - if " oldrigger " is around anywhere, I'm sure he could answer all this and more.
    Thanks again
    [ August 16, 2002, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Tahiti Day Cruiser ]

Rickster
    Best friend had a 16' Tahiti w/100 MERC would do 44 with reg prop at 4,000. Great little lake boat, skied 3-6 times a week.....1968-1973...He just sold the boat this spring in Colorado for a grand. There is the same hull with an inboard either on EBAY or some w/site I found 2 nites ago. I have a pic of a Small block Chevy Carribean at Canyon Lake in 62' that was solid deep royal blue with same color in a full width bench seat TUCK & ROLL MAN! Sure was a pretty boat!

!973 16' Tahiti

I have a 1973 16' Tahiti (MISTY MEANER) with a factory 455 olds in it. Is there anyone else out there with one. Mine still runs great, well after a couple new engines. And one sinking. I have had it since 1979. I was 19 years old when I bought it. It needs a paint job but other then that she is in excellent condition. A very fun boat and it pulls water skiers better then any master craft.

I have a Hardin Marine 21 Carribean. I am trying to find out any history about this boat as well. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks GT

speaking of tahiti i just got a 1976 tahiti 21' v-drive with a 383 big block the hull was made by bell model 20-sci/0 i cant find anything on this boat if anyone can tell me where to get some info on it that would be great ty for your time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12