Thread: prop selection?

jwbbuck
    I've got a 23 Warlock, v-bottom with a narrow beam. 532hp 502, Bravo, short x-dimension (factory) and a nose cone. I'm not looking for that last 5 mph, but I don't know what prop might work best. I'm thinking about a 28" Bravo. Sound reasonable? I bought the boat used with no prop.

Faster Daddy
    Sounds like a good place to start. Find a shop that will let you demo a couple of sizes. I'd try 24, 26, 28 Bravo and see how the boat performs. Good luck, I'm trying to find the right prop myself.

WaterBox
    jwbbuck:OPP's

WaterBox
    OPP'S
    jwbbuck:
    Need more info. what year is your Warlock ? What gears are in the out drive? 1.36 or 1.50...
    I have a 23' narrow beam also, but mine is a Howard called a mini off shore. the mold us't to belong to Warlock. I wounder if it is the same one. I am running a stock 502. it had 1.36 gearing when I bought it and was running a 23 Mirage prop. It would run out at 70 mph @ 4700 rpm in good water. Rebuilt the drive and went to the 1.50 gear's.. Now tunning a Brovo 1 prop 26 pitch. The speed and rpms are the same as above. of course the 4 blade dose give my boat more tail lift than the 3 blade which translates into a little chine walk, [ makes for a fun ride.] but very controlable.

jwbbuck
    RD: thanks for the input. Obviously, we've never really met. Name is Buck.
    WaterBox: It's a 1989. Titled as a 24 Euro, but it's a 23. The cockpit area is pretty short - long, flat forward deck. Other than that, I don't know much about the hull. I'd guess 3500-4000lb. Gears are 1.50. I'd like to stay pretty conservative since I bought the boat / motor used and I'm not sure how stout it really is. The previous owner says it's a Tyler Crockett built motor but that's all he knows. Nobody around here (NY) let's you try out props, so I'm stuck with my best guess. THanks, JB
    I know jwbbuck is not the most exciting username. Just my initials and nickname.

Quality Time
    Suggest you visit some of the other boards. A few of the Prop. suppliers monitor threads pertainng to props. They will provide you with pretty good information.

WaterBox
    Ya,, I've seen that boat around Havasu alot. It's out of the same mold as mine, the only difference is the color, mine has a one piece windshild and steers on the left ... But I'll bet your's is faster Buck. :yuk: Wish I knew how to post a pic. and I'd show ya mine. [boat that is.:eek!: ]

jwbbuck
    RD - the previous owner claims to have used a prop that was way too short for the power and just didn't run it hard. He used a 25" Bravo 4-blade. He said, once, he used a labbed 27" Bravo and saw mid 80mph on GPS.
    WB - if you have a digital picture (scanned or from camera) just "attach file" at the bottom of the new thread or reply screen.
    Buck

WaterBox
    Thank's Buck for the pic. posting info. [ I'm not too savvy on this putter stuff yet.] I grabed the first pic. thst I could find, scaned it hope it makes the journey.
    Generally speaking a 25 would be a three blade, 26 a four blade and 27 a three. [ You probably already knew that.] Did the ol-boy tell you what kind-a rpm's he was turning with the 27.?
    One of the best prop's I tested when I was running the 1.36 gearing was a Marige Plus. 23 pitch. It's a half inch larger in dia. than the reg. 23 [ I know 1/2" isn't very much inless it's on the end of your One Thing :eek!: ] But it sure worked the boat nice. I'm lucky out here, a friend of mine own's a prop shop so I get to try alot of different prop's. So a 27 Marige Plus might work good for ya. Or like R.D said a 28. Prop's are like Women, Hard to find the right one.

WaterBox
    Originally posted by WaterBox
    Thank's Buck for the pic. posting info. [ I'm not too savvy on this putter stuff yet.] I grabed the first pic. thst I could find, scaned it hope it makes the journey.
    Generally speaking a 25 would be a three blade, 26 a four blade and 27 a three. [ You probably already knew that.] Did the ol-boy tell you what kind-a rpm's he was turning with the 27.?
    One of the best prop's I tested when I was running the 1.36 gearing was a Marige Plus. 23 pitch. It's a half inch larger in dia. than the reg. 23 [ I know 1/2" isn't very much inless it's on the end of your One Thing :eek!: ] But it sure worked the boat nice. I'm lucky out here, a friend of mine own's a prop shop so I get to try alot of different prop's. So a 27 Marige Plus might work good for ya. Or like R.D said a 28. Prop's are like Women, Hard to find the right one.
    Had to try to send the pic. again