Thread: Solid Lifter Cam ????

DansBlown73Nordic
    Im thinking very seriously of a roller solid lifter cam. My question is will I have to adjust the lash alot? Alot meaning can I set it in the spring and run it all summer or will I have to keep setting them?

promod
    dan i run a solid one in mine i 've adjusted them one time after break in and then just keep check on'em but they will let the r's come on up where you make a little more power
    just my .02
    later
    promod

Dave C
    Once I got them dialed in they didn't move too much. Just keep checking them.
    Get good locks too! that helped.
    Still kinda of a pain in the ass. I am going back to Hydraulic rollers and suck up the difference..

Dennis Moore
    If you run a camshaft with very fast valve opening and closing speeds, like a racing camshaft, you may need to adjust the lash every 15-25 hours of operation. Some of the camshaft companies are making solid camshafts called street rollers that work pretty well and seldom need adjustments (every 75-100 hours). With good valvetrains (steel roller rockers, high quality pushrods, good valvesprings and retainers, strong rocker arm studs) and cast iron cylinder heads (aluminum heads expand and contract a large amount through the engines heat cycle) a solid lifter camshaft will work great and give a little better performance (5-10 horsepower more at high rpm) than a hydraulic lifter camshaft.
    Dennis Moore

Jim B.
    Depnding on how big the cam is, you will probably go though valve springs more frequently. Solid rollers usually have higher lifts and stiff spring pressures and spring usually don't last as long. My .02 cents.

DansBlown73Nordic
    cam is a 640 lift. Spring pressure will be in the #200 range.