Thread: Confused - Olds oil restrictors

CrdStang
    I just got off the phone with Dick Miller racing, who confirmed what I thought..everyone installs the mains restrictors in the holes that goes to the cam.
    I thought the whole point was to reduce flow to the top half of the engine so the drainback system doesn't get overloaded?
    Obviously the cam doesn't have any effect on drainback from the heads.
    Am I mistaken, and the soul purpose of those restrictors is to increase flow to the mains? Do I need restricted pushrods or lifter restirctors to reduce flow to the valvetrain?
    I've got a high-volume oil pump.

victorfb
    ive never used em, but i hear the restricter pushrods work well. i didnt run any restricters in my 455 and ive run 4700 rpm without a problem, except for a little blow by out the breather. the breather had no blocking valve, just a screen and im sure if you use the rubber gromets with just the slice in it it will work better.

Mark Sims
    I run restricters in the main saddles#2,3,4 and restricted push rods and occasionally run up to 5400 for short bursts. I get plenty of oil up top as proved with a drill and primer. Keep the oil on the large mains that olds have or your motor wont live long in a jet boat. Alot of people on this site have learned the hard way about olds oiling issues. If you pay close attention to clearances and oil supply and return and balance the assembly an olds will live a long time. You also will need to do some work on the main bearings with a file or die grinder.Theres alot of info on modifying olds at realoldspower.com

CrdStang
    Ahh, alright, so they *are* just for forcing some extra oil to the crank. I'll run some restricted pushrods too to help keep some oil in the pan.
    I'm looking at modifying my stock pan for increased capacity, and adding some baffling. I know an aftermarket pan would be better, but I have a Mig welder and not all that much cash to throw into the boat project...