Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mufflers

cheech
    what kind of mufflers does everyone use or going to use since it sounds like they are going to start testing people more offen. how much horsepower do you lose with them. does the wet systems for the headers lower the noise level at all.

HighRoller
    I think it varies depending on what kind of "headers" you are talking about. Over the transom/water injected or through transom/water jacketed types?

LVjetboy
    If you have a performance engine you'll loose power and loose the noise round with the law. Mufflers or no dream on. Buy a Sea Ray family boat now! Before it's too late.
    jer

HighRoller
    The only mufflers I've heard that work well with minimal or no power loss are the IMCO "Gatlin" tailpipes. They're designed for high HP or blower engines and cost about 800 bucks a set.

cal***boat
    **** that muffler crap and the noise laws, I have found the only way to go is with turbos on a lake boat, very little noise and still builds a bunch of horsepower.

screamdreambrad
    Originally posted by cal***boat
    **** that muffler crap and the noise laws, I have found the only way to go is with turbos on a lake boat, very little noise and still builds a bunch of horsepower. chb i think you hit it on the head! turbo shit is going to be so shittin expensive after everybody figures out that is going to be the only way to beat the noise crap! i had the slip in crap mufflers for mine when i used to go to the lke and river and they murdered my power, and made the thing pigrich! brad

Unchained
    Originally posted by screamdreambrad
    chb i think you hit it on the head! turbo shit is going to be so shittin expensive after everybody figures out that is going to be the only way to beat the noise crap! i had the slip in crap mufflers for mine when i used to go to the lke and river and they murdered my power, and made the thing pigrich! brad
    The Turbo setup really doesn't have to be that expensive but you have to take the initiative and put it together yourself.
    For instance the turbo's I'm using are diesel rebuilds and cost 1/2 what a new Turbonetics cost. I still haven't seen anyone post a quicker spool up time than I have recorded and the turbo's have the capacity to make over 40 lbs boost if needed. If one went bad I could get another off the shelf most anywhere in the country.
    Turbos are much simpler than blowers and extremely durable.
    The stainless headers seem to be the biggest challenge for the do it yourselfer. I made my own and can make others.

Blown509Liberator
    Mark,
    What kinda DBL reading you getting with your turdo set up? I know you MI boys are getting hit hard in the noise dept.
    MikeW

Unchained
    Originally posted by Blown509Liberator
    Mark,
    What kinda DBL reading you getting with your turdo set up? I know you MI boys are getting hit hard in the noise dept.
    MikeW
    Mike, I haven't put a DB meter on it but I have cruised past Omar Shariff several times and got no response.
    When riding around in the boat I still wear earplugs but people on the shore have told me several things.
    -It was so quiet I didn't know the engine was running.
    -I thought a jet airplane was flying low.
    -I thought it was supposed to be quiet.
    My own observation is that when you're just cruising around it is a lot quieter than headers. When you have your foot in it can get loud but the noise doesn't seem to carry like headers do.
    Here's a video with the blower
    http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/MOV01254.MPG
    Here's a video with the turbo's
    http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/videooverbow.MPG
    So which one sounds quieter at WOT ?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    you can definitely here the whistle of the turbos. how much boost are you running? did the turbos net a higher top speed?
    bitchin'
    Omega

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast