Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine questions

blownfear
    got a question for you gentlemen.... how bo you feel about hyperetectic pistons as for as durability, and performance?
    i'm thinking of adding a blower next season and have heard a blower will kill my pistons and that i should go forged. My engine is a 78 460 .060 over balanced rotating assembly dvoe3 heads some porting,mainly cleaned up castings,offy 4bbl intake holley 850 dbl pumper, hardin logs ,3.5" outlets. Any input world be appreciated.........
    Dan

screamdreambrad
    blownfear, i have no personal experiance with those pistons, but i've heard they like to swell up with some good heat. just what i've heard. forged is the only way to go if you're going to keep it. brad

Sleek26
    If your going to a blower, now or later, I wouldn't recommend anything less than forged.

Hotcrusader76
    Stay away from the plastic pistons on boost. They will shatter.
    Go with a good set of forged pistons; JE, SRP, Wiseco, or even some Ross Pistons. Ross has really impressed me with their tech. over the phone. Plus look at how they started and the experience they utilize manufacturing their slugs.
    Just some food for thought.
    ~Ty

canuck1
    Don't waste your money buy good pistons. Hyper junk lasted us 34 laps before they self destructed

HotRod Sprint
    I just happen to know this motor is in a Jet Boat since I helped put it in. Don't want this gettin moved to gear heads
    Rod

blownfear
    Sorry i forgot to mention it was in a JET-BOAT not to mention a 24 footer , And thanks for the help with the engine Hotrod it was greatly appreciated. Thanks to everybody else also i'll definately go forged on the next one.
    DAN

fullwood
    you should ditch those logs and buy my centerriser exhaust manifolds those logs kill any chance of horsepower!!

blowngas
    sounds like you wanting to make your big ride a little faster----adding a blower is a good way to go but remember there are limitations----also sound like you have a 460 ford for an engine---I'm not sure what ford uses for their cranks, rods, and pistons----If you decide to go the blower route, think about the motor bottom end---not just the pistons, but rods and crank also----maybe the ford 460's use a steel crank----if so, keep the stock one----if not, find one---same goes for the rods----and use a low compression forged piston----make sure the block is in good shape before ordering new parts (does it need to be bored)?----the higher the boost, the better the gas has to be----for just lake cruisin start with a 1 to 1 drive setup and stay with 8mm belt and pulleys----check with a blower shop on what belt and pulleys you will need----tell them what you have and what you plan to do---have fun----keep the shiny side UP

Duane HTP
    Blown fear, go not only with forged pistons, go with forged BLOWER pistons. Blower pistons have the top ring down lower, away from the extreme heat created by the blower, and the tops are about twice as thick. This is a must because it gives the extra heat a larger reservior to dissapate in. Remember, once you've run a blower, you won't ever be satasfied without one again. Have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast