Thread: Painting the Block

This weekend i plan on pulling the motor and getting it setup and preped to paint it. I have some Q's..
    1. Anybody recommend a type/brand of paint? Should i use a spray or brush it on?
    2. Anything special to do to the block to help the pain stick and stay puuurrdddyy?
    post pics if you want of your motors, i love pics

Sleek-Jet
    Are you changing colors???
    I've used Plasti-Coat engine paint and spray on enamel, both seem to hold up equally well.
    The key I've found is making sure the block is clean. Pressure wash it, the wipe it down with some prep solvent, then paint. Should hold up pretty well.

FoMoCo
    I also paint my engines with a Spray gun. I use Automotive PPG paint. I have used Enamel and I also used Base with Clear coat. they bothhold up really well..
    I always buy 2 cans of brake clean and a gallon of Laquir Thinner to clean the block before I spray.
    You cannot tell from this picture bu the block is the same color as the trim on my boat:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...9Carb5-med.jpg

Hemicbx
    I've used Dupont car paint (Centari acrylic enamel) on a car engine and it held up great and kept a real nice shine.
    Like always, prep is the key!
    Hemicbx

I use aluminum colored paint because it makes it look lighter weight.

Tolly
    Imron.......... Prep and clean, prep and clean, then prep and clean again and spray it!

HotRod Sprint
    Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
    Are you changing colors???
    I've used Plasti-Coat engine paint and spray on enamel, both seem to hold up equally well.
    The key I've found is making sure the block is clean. Pressure wash it, the wipe it down with some prep solvent, then paint. Should hold up pretty well.
    I've had real good luck as well with the Plasti-coat Engine enamel. The key is prep, prep and prep. I soaked it with Laquer thinner and wiped it as clean as possible, then used prep sol on top of that. Have sprayed several engines with it, and none of them have cracked, peeled or discolored.
    Rod

jerry billet
    Imron. Has held up to numerous dunkings in the hot tank over the last 3 years. the guys at the shop always comment that the paint does not change at all.

Originally posted by FoMoCo
    I also paint my engines with a Spray gun. I use Automotive PPG paint. I have used Enamel and I also used Base with Clear coat. they bothhold up really well..
    I always buy 2 cans of brake clean and a gallon of Laquir Thinner to clean the block before I spray.
    You cannot tell from this picture bu the block is the same color as the trim on my boat:
    Hey Phil
    What's with the blue bottle?